Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby Savannah Jay » Fri May 10, 2024 1:32 pm

stever20 wrote:I think this year if BE had only 18 conference games, the league would be looking at 7 bids pretty easily.

This isn't true because you don't know which 18 games a particular team would have on its schedule. For example, SJU was one of the bubble teams that we were hoping would get into the NCAAT. If they had an 18 game schedule, they have one less home game and one less away game, correct? What if the games that were removed from their schedule were the home game against CU and the road game against Villanova. Two of their resume wins that, if not on said resume, would have put them further from the NCAAT. On the flipside, what if the don't have a home game against Georgetown or roadie at DePaul? Two dubs off the record, which is how even more dubious.

I am sure there are teams in huge conferences that benefitted from not having to play everyone twice and thus snuck teams into the tourney in a given year (I'm looking at you, Big Ten and ACC). But for every team that gets a soft schedule due to absence of the double round robin, someone is getting screwed, too (like getting UConn & Marquette twice and DePaul and Georgetown once each). Expanding by one team doesn't change the dynamics...those huge conferences have a number of crappy teams which helps the record of some teams but they are losing any rivalry and regional dynamic.
Savannah Jay

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Vertigo » Fri May 10, 2024 2:41 pm

Since this topic got bumped, Memphis would be a great potential add. just have them move their football to CUSA, Sunbelt, or Independent.

it's a win win situation. the BE gets another strong program with good recruiting, huge NIL, rich history, massive arena (Capacity: 18,119) or the BE gets a huge 20+ million dollar payday buyout.

and I don't think you need to worry about them deflecting anyway, a B12 invite has long sailed, I'm sure the B12 would rather wait on the eventual ACC collapse before entertaining Memphis.

perennial matchups with UConn, Creighton, Villanova, St Johns, Xavier, Providence etc would certainly make Fox bump our next contract.
Vertigo

Postby DudeAnon » Fri May 10, 2024 8:43 pm

Had never really though about Memphis but I think I agree, that would be a good add.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Nukem2 » Fri May 10, 2024 8:49 pm

Memphis obviously would be a great addition from a BB only standpoint. Unfortunately this school has absolutely zero compatibility with the BE. It’s highly checkered past is a huge issue. Hard pass.
Nukem2

Postby Django » Sat May 11, 2024 4:31 am

Memphis is having a nice run in football, went to the cotton bowl 4 years ago and just beat Iowa State in the Liberty Bowl. Not a chance they go Indy in football
Django

Postby Omaha1 » Sat May 11, 2024 5:36 pm

Grand Canyon and Seattle University are leaving the Western Athletic Conference and will join the West Coast Conference on July 1, 2025, the WCC announced.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby DeltaV » Sun May 12, 2024 12:01 pm

Nukem2 wrote:Memphis obviously would be a great addition from a BB only standpoint. Unfortunately this school has absolutely zero compatibility with the BE. It’s highly checkered past is a huge issue. Hard pass.

Yeah. What are there academics like? I don't know, but my impression isn't good...
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby Django » Sun May 12, 2024 8:06 pm

Vertigo wrote:Since this topic got bumped, Memphis would be a great potential add. just have them move their football to CUSA, Sunbelt, or Independent.

it's a win win situation. the BE gets another strong program with good recruiting, huge NIL, rich history, massive arena (Capacity: 18,119) or the BE gets a huge 20+ million dollar payday buyout.

and I don't think you need to worry about them deflecting anyway, a B12 invite has long sailed, I'm sure the B12 would rather wait on the eventual ACC collapse before entertaining Memphis.

perennial matchups with UConn, Creighton, Villanova, St Johns, Xavier, Providence etc would certainly make Fox bump our next contract.

Wichita CC no way. Bad fit. Buncha anti-Catholic bigots in a city where KU is #1 and 2, the hicks from the dirt town in Manhattan KS (KSU) are third favorite and their floundering community college team is 4th. The Wichiturds already want to fire their new coach and will forever worship their all-time hero, the guy who choked and kicked his players.
Django

Postby Jet915 » Tue May 14, 2024 10:35 am

DudeAnon wrote:Had never really though about Memphis but I think I agree, that would be a good add.

From a basketball standpoint its a no brainer but from every other standpoint (academics, like-minded) i don't see any ties to Big East schools sans UConn who had a long hx with Big East.
Jet915

Postby stever20 » Tue May 14, 2024 11:29 am

Richmond moving from the CAA for football to the Patriot League. Wonder what if anything it means for them in the A10.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board