NCAA Tues - XAVIER vs nc state at Dayton, 9pm.

The home for Big East hoops

Re: NCAA Tues - XAVIER vs nc state at Dayton, 9pm.

Postby xu11 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:03 pm

This should just confirm what many X and UD fans have been saying - it will be a hostile environment for us tomorrow, which is something we are all used to already. The last X-UD game I went to in Dayton was as a senior in '11, where I had beer thrown on me and was called a bitch a few times. I don't judge the UD fanbase at all because 1. every program has bad fans (Xavier included) and 2. I have good friends who went to UD. But where is the line drawn anymore? UD players and fans don't have sex with watermelons; it's a really outdated, stupid rumor started by Xavier fans that shouldn't be perpetuated further. I honestly don't find this rivalry fun anymore, not because of differences in the programs, but because of how far BOTH fanbases have taken it. Every conversation on this board becomes off base and turns into a pissing contest when UD is brought up. I find it tiresome to read as an X fan, so I can only imagine how tiresome it has grown for fans of other BE schools.

I'm off my soap box and will be at the game tomorrow with my boyfriend, and I'm hoping for a more pleasant experience because it is just a game after all. GO X!
xu11

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby xbr1 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:04 pm

ruechalgrin wrote:
Xudash wrote:
ruechalgrin wrote: This post is from 2012 and it states 8 years prior, to young for me. But not sure exact details ?http://www.xavierhoops.com/showthread.php?21178-Watermelon-jokes.

Totally false and absolutely racist overtones. Sorry X fans, this is where the line is crossed (Dayton fans cross it sometimes as well), but this crosses the line completely and actually does a disservice to Xavier fans.

So you have no clue that this has to do with Keith Waleskowski? Do as you will, but I suggest you let it go. You've been a very reasonable poster around here. This had NOTHING to do with racism. It had everything to do with what was either a fabricated story or something that actually took place that then got out and resulted in an overreaction by that player and his father (they threatened a libel suit, if I recall correctly).

The fabricated tale I heard was Keith W. and another player who I won't name here as don't want to put his name into the myth, hence the reference to racism (true more sexual overtones, but an element of racism IMHO regarding the tale I heard about the other player). And have heard as well 4th hand that Keith W. and his father threatened a lawsuit because absolutely false. Anyway, totally false story.

Xudash, you are reasonable as well and this is your board, not mine. But I just hate blatant lies and the watermelon thing is a blatant lie.

All for UD has not won at X since Jimmy Carter because sad but true. All for "little brother" comments as again sad but true. All for you guys stating the unfortunately obvious position that you have owned UD for 30 years. All for you saying the BE is top conference and A-10 is mid-major conference because it is. All for other heckling that even has a smidgeon of truth. But the watermelon thing is libelous.

The other player was Sean Finn so I am not sure how it is racist. One of the dumbest comments I have ever heard.
xbr1

Postby ruechalgrin » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:05 pm

jayelan wrote:Think the Dayton fans will be a little conflicted regarding the Xavier NC State game. Chris Mack sure didn't do his team any favors with his comments degrading the A-10 but neither did Coack K. From a few friends I talked to they were more upset with Coach K. Also said they would just watch the playin games like they do every year and not usually pick a favorite till halftime.

As for the students, I wouldn't worry about them as UD students don't really turn out for the playin games. Mostly older fans whom get their tickets included in their season package.

In St Louis right now and the mood here is not very positive. Coach Crews won COY for 2nd straight year but the team is fading, showing signs of fatigue losing 4 of their last 5 game. They don't go deep and Jett looks gassed. Xavier should handle them with ease.

I think the word that sums up the NCAA this year is parity. Wichita State is the only dominant team but their schedule was weak. Should be a great tourney with lots of upsets.

I live on the West Coast, but all the Dayton fans I know going to the Xaiver game will be wearing red and rooting for NC State, not conflicted at all. If it were Duke/Xavier, perhaps conflicted, but I would really be surprised to see too many Dayton fans neutral for this game. Xavier has a huge advantage of little travel while I think UD Arena will be 2/6 X fans, 3/6 Dayton turned NC State and fans, and 1/6 other. But it will be the sweater vest wearing UD fans so not too loud. Few students will show up.
ruechalgrin

Postby Xudash » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:29 pm

ruechalgrin wrote:
jayelan wrote:Think the Dayton fans will be a little conflicted regarding the Xavier NC State game. Chris Mack sure didn't do his team any favors with his comments degrading the A-10 but neither did Coack K. From a few friends I talked to they were more upset with Coach K. Also said they would just watch the playin games like they do every year and not usually pick a favorite till halftime.

As for the students, I wouldn't worry about them as UD students don't really turn out for the playin games. Mostly older fans whom get their tickets included in their season package.

In St Louis right now and the mood here is not very positive. Coach Crews won COY for 2nd straight year but the team is fading, showing signs of fatigue losing 4 of their last 5 game. They don't go deep and Jett looks gassed. Xavier should handle them with ease.

I think the word that sums up the NCAA this year is parity. Wichita State is the only dominant team but their schedule was weak. Should be a great tourney with lots of upsets.

I live on the West Coast, but all the Dayton fans I know going to the Xaiver game will be wearing red and rooting for NC State, not conflicted at all. If it were Duke/Xavier, perhaps conflicted, but I would really be surprised to see too many Dayton fans neutral for this game. Xavier has a huge advantage of little travel while I think UD Arena will be 2/6 X fans, 3/6 Dayton turned NC State and fans, and 1/6 other. But it will be the sweater vest wearing UD fans so not too loud. Few students will show up.

I believe you are absolutely right. See, UD and Xavier fans can agree on some things.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby PMThor » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:34 am

Job interviews? Recanting the story? Not naming the "other" player due to racism?

This has turned into one of the funniest, most absurd threads I've read in awhile. dayton fans, even after being not asked to join the Big East, well, they continue to crack me up. That's it, I'm going up there and I'm wearing my watermelon hat just to see their reactions.

Wait, maybe I better not, don't need to get them in all hot and bothered.
Always remember that you are unique; just like everyone else
PMThor

Postby DudeAnon » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:33 am

Last I checked Xavier was actually in this conference so could we actually talk about the game?

In my opinion, X needs to come out punching and let their guards go to the rim. I don't like the idea of getting behind with TJ Warren behind the wheel of NC State.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Chalmers0 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:08 am

The more I look at things, the more I think that X could really not ask for a better matchup.

X struggles to guard 3 point shots. NC State really struggles to shoot them.

X struggles to protect the ball and not turn it over. NC State forces turnovers at a very low rate.

X has been a solid offensive rebounding team this year, NC State is one of the worst teams in the country on the defensive glass (although they are good on the offensive end)

T.J. Warren won't be easy to stop, but his supporting cast isn't exactly good.
Chalmers0

Postby stever20 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:21 am

Chalmers0 wrote:The more I look at things, the more I think that X could really not ask for a better matchup.

X struggles to guard 3 point shots. NC State really struggles to shoot them.

X struggles to protect the ball and not turn it over. NC State forces turnovers at a very low rate.

X has been a solid offensive rebounding team this year, NC State is one of the worst teams in the country on the defensive glass (although they are good on the offensive end)

T.J. Warren won't be easy to stop, but his supporting cast isn't exactly good.

to your points:
3 point shooting-
NC State 325th best shooting team this year from 3 pt range(30.3%). X 231st best guarding the 3 (35.4%)

X barely above the national avg at offensive to % 199th- 18.7%. NC St turns over teams at 17.5%

Offensive rebounding- X is 86th best at off rembounds 34.1%. NC St is 338th best at allowing offensive rebounds(36.3%)

think 1 stat that is a concern- NC St holds the ball for 19.3 seconds per time. That's a second longer than X is used to. Also, NC State is about an inch taller on average than X is- 22nd tallest in the country.

According to Ken-Pom- Xavier is favored 74-70.
stever20

Postby taa71458 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:49 am

Looking forward to a Semaj Christon/TJ Warren duel tonight. Get a win X!
taa71458

Postby ohiohsbball » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:16 am

xbr1 wrote:
marquette wrote:
Xudash wrote: Many watermelons will be at risk prior to game time in Dayton, OH tomorrow evening.

:?:

Dayton players/fans have been known to have had sex with watermelons. If your arena backed up with raw sewage four times a year and was considered a septic tank you might too.

Seriously? I'm not a huge Dayton fan, but they do have a passionate fan base and a nice arena. What a stupid comment. Are you in 7th or 8th grade?
ohiohsbball

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board