NCAA Tues - XAVIER vs nc state at Dayton, 9pm.

The home for Big East hoops

Re: NCAA Tues - XAVIER vs nc state at Dayton, 9pm.

Postby ohiohsbball » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:30 am

Xudash wrote:
ohiohsbball wrote:Isn't this game between NC State and Xavier? Why all of the talk about Dayton? I see nothing wrong with the UD students at the Xavier practice; I think it's fun and honestly is the only reason I really would like to see UD in the conference is because of the X rivalry. Normally I couldn't care less, but all of the Xavier posters on here make me realize that that truly is a great rivalry. If the play-in game was at Xavier and Dayton was playing, are you trying to tell me Xavier fans wouldn't be massively rooting against Dayton? I love rivalries.

About the game, it should be an entertaining ball game. I personally don't NC State has the resume to get into the tournament, but they will present a challenge to Xavier. If Stainbrook is healthy, I think Xavier should pull it off, despite all of the UD fans. Hopefully home in time to watch.

Perhaps you missed that little tidbit about the game being played in UD Arena. That reality alone will pull in comments about UD when it comes to Xavier.

I stopped caring about this rivalry after last year's Xavier game at UD, when UD fans tormented Christy Mack to the point of tears. She sought out a UD official she knew at courtside during the game for the purpose of putting a stop to it. Fans were expelled from the game. It was so bad that it made the news. There are rivalries and there are unhealthy rivalries. This has become an unhealthy rivalry. Some fans like that; the idea of "mixing it up" is appealing to them. I prefer rivalries that lean in the direction of Army/Navy (lean in that direction, knowing that rivalry can never be matched in terms of respect and class). I see Xavier having the opportunity to crank up rivalries in the Big East that look more like that than one having to deal with a delusional fanbase that believes their program is relevant, because they pack in 12k fans a game comprised of old farts in sweater vests who can recite box scores from 1971. It's a shame really, because I thought that UD made sense as a partner for a long time. Perhaps I visited UDPride once too often.

BTW, the Xavier administration hasn't forgotten what happened in that last game up there. I suspect they'll be watching what goes on there tonight. Xavier is one voice in the Big East, but it is a Big East member with a voice and vote. UD isn't exactly ringing anyone's bell for consideration as an expansion candidate, so the other President's would be inclined to listen to a member's opinion on the matter in the event expansion discussions begin. I know that X and UD have actually enjoyed a good relationship at the top for many years, regardless of what has transpired on the basketball court. However, should UD create another bad impression on X's leadership tonight, it will be reasonable to conclude that UD's chances of getting into the Big East will have ticked down, not up. I certainly don't expect UD fans to cheer for Xavier tonight, but it's the other stupid antics that will do some damage, should they occur.

Given what's at stake - Big East membership, should expansion ultimately take place - I would want to be doing everything possible to help my chances versus dropping bricks on my feet, especially knowing that my program is not perceived to be at the top of ANYONE''s candidate list.

What do you know about the Xavier administration? Any inside information? Or just guesses? I don't know of anyone who has that info, but I do know coaches of other sports at both UD and Xavier, and have heard the same thing; the presidents of both universities are really tight with each other. They do a lot of campaigns and fundraising together and Xavier's new AD was quoted as saying he wants the rivalry renewed with UD as soon as possible. Why is Dayton still in the A10 and Xavier in the NBE? I don't know and neither do you, nor does anyone have any idea of what is going to happen in the future; just all speculation.The whole Christy Mack situation was a handful of rowdy students (which I'm sure Xavier has none of); not the entire UD fan base. My brother was at the game when she was inducted into the HOF and received the loudest cheer. To say Xavier administrators will have a close eye on how UD fans act at a play in game tonight and how that could influence an invite to the BE is simply stupid.

I am not a Dayton fan at all; like you, I think a lot of their fans are delusional but after spending time lurking on message boards it makes it very easy to root against Xavier.
ohiohsbball

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby FormulaX » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:46 am

ohioball, when you first posted. You said, "I'm not a dayton fan at all" You sure have a lot to say about Dayton. Why are you here?
Dayton now is the "crazy old girl friend that was also a family friend". Months later she is still stalking and txting. If you say somehting to anyone, their response is "you still like her!"
FormulaX

Postby PMThor » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:11 pm

ohiohsbball wrote:
Xudash wrote:
ohiohsbball wrote:Isn't this game between NC State and Xavier? Why all of the talk about Dayton? I see nothing wrong with the UD students at the Xavier practice; I think it's fun and honestly is the only reason I really would like to see UD in the conference is because of the X rivalry. Normally I couldn't care less, but all of the Xavier posters on here make me realize that that truly is a great rivalry. If the play-in game was at Xavier and Dayton was playing, are you trying to tell me Xavier fans wouldn't be massively rooting against Dayton? I love rivalries.

About the game, it should be an entertaining ball game. I personally don't NC State has the resume to get into the tournament, but they will present a challenge to Xavier. If Stainbrook is healthy, I think Xavier should pull it off, despite all of the UD fans. Hopefully home in time to watch.

Perhaps you missed that little tidbit about the game being played in UD Arena. That reality alone will pull in comments about UD when it comes to Xavier.

I stopped caring about this rivalry after last year's Xavier game at UD, when UD fans tormented Christy Mack to the point of tears. She sought out a UD official she knew at courtside during the game for the purpose of putting a stop to it. Fans were expelled from the game. It was so bad that it made the news. There are rivalries and there are unhealthy rivalries. This has become an unhealthy rivalry. Some fans like that; the idea of "mixing it up" is appealing to them. I prefer rivalries that lean in the direction of Army/Navy (lean in that direction, knowing that rivalry can never be matched in terms of respect and class). I see Xavier having the opportunity to crank up rivalries in the Big East that look more like that than one having to deal with a delusional fanbase that believes their program is relevant, because they pack in 12k fans a game comprised of old farts in sweater vests who can recite box scores from 1971. It's a shame really, because I thought that UD made sense as a partner for a long time. Perhaps I visited UDPride once too often.

BTW, the Xavier administration hasn't forgotten what happened in that last game up there. I suspect they'll be watching what goes on there tonight. Xavier is one voice in the Big East, but it is a Big East member with a voice and vote. UD isn't exactly ringing anyone's bell for consideration as an expansion candidate, so the other President's would be inclined to listen to a member's opinion on the matter in the event expansion discussions begin. I know that X and UD have actually enjoyed a good relationship at the top for many years, regardless of what has transpired on the basketball court. However, should UD create another bad impression on X's leadership tonight, it will be reasonable to conclude that UD's chances of getting into the Big East will have ticked down, not up. I certainly don't expect UD fans to cheer for Xavier tonight, but it's the other stupid antics that will do some damage, should they occur.

Given what's at stake - Big East membership, should expansion ultimately take place - I would want to be doing everything possible to help my chances versus dropping bricks on my feet, especially knowing that my program is not perceived to be at the top of ANYONE''s candidate list.

What do you know about the Xavier administration? Any inside information? Or just guesses? I don't know of anyone who has that info, but I do know coaches of other sports at both UD and Xavier, and have heard the same thing; the presidents of both universities are really tight with each other. They do a lot of campaigns and fundraising together and Xavier's new AD was quoted as saying he wants the rivalry renewed with UD as soon as possible. Why is Dayton still in the A10 and Xavier in the NBE? I don't know and neither do you, nor does anyone have any idea of what is going to happen in the future; just all speculation.The whole Christy Mack situation was a handful of rowdy students (which I'm sure Xavier has none of); not the entire UD fan base. My brother was at the game when she was inducted into the HOF and received the loudest cheer. To say Xavier administrators will have a close eye on how UD fans act at a play in game tonight and how that could influence an invite to the BE is simply stupid.

I am not a Dayton fan at all; like you, I think a lot of their fans are delusional but after spending time lurking on message boards it makes it very easy to root against Xavier.

You have got to be kidding me. This is absolutely laughable. It can't be more clear why X is in the Big East and dayton isn't, but it's not worth rehashing it for an obvious dayton troll who is just trying too hard to prove he's not...
Always remember that you are unique; just like everyone else
PMThor

Postby ruechalgrin » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:20 pm

A couple points.

(1) Every Dayton fan knows why X is in the BE and Dayton is not -- 30 years of absolute dominance by X in the NCAAs. Any Dayton fan who does not understand this is delusional.
(2) The watermelon thing, I heard the myth that the 2nd player was African-American, hence the racist overtones. Sounds like it was not the case, as it is a myth, no worries and let's move on.
(3) Some fans went over the line with Christy Mack last year -- students and they were thrown out of the game. I apologize on behalf of all Flyer fans as a line exists and from what I hear happened, it was crossed.
(4) I would suggest letting Christy Mack speak for herself. She and her entire family (including Coach Mack) were graciously received a couple weeks ago upon her induction to the Dayton Hall of Fame. She is very positive about Dayton. So if Christy Mack does not hold the actions of a couple Dayton students against Dayton, I would say nobody should.
(5) Context about the dislike for Chris Mack at Dayton. While he was a player at Evansville (before transferring to X) with Jim Crews (St. Louis coach), another player and then Chris Mack intentionally threw the ball as hard as they could at Dayton's players face on an out of bounds play. In todays world, Mack and Crews likely would have been suspended for the entire season after this incident. Mack has apologized later (and rumors are this is one of the reasons he transferred from Evansville is that he did not respect the coach who asked him to do this). But premeditated taking a baseball style throw on the baseline into someones face are not easily forgotten. So although Miller, Prosser, and Gillen are respected by UD fans, Mack quite frankly is not because of the Evansville incident and he added fuel to the fire with his A-10/BE comments. BTW, Matta is not respected as the Dayton fans feel like he lied to Xavier saying he would not leave then 2 days later signing with OSU (funny the Dayton fans and Xavier fans are probably on the same page about Matta).
(6) I simply don't understand the venom from X fans versus Dayton. You have owned us for 30 years. We have similar schools in similar cities (yes Dayton is not as nice as Cincy, but for me living in the Bay Area, they are not that different) with similar academics with similar fan bases with similar arenas, etc., etc. I respect what Xavier has done for the last 30 years and envy your success (truly jealous); I also like to tweak Xavier fans, but it is all in fun.
(7) This type of rivalry would be great for the BE :-)
ruechalgrin

Postby Gibbsyonemoreyear! » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:21 pm

I'm looking forward to the Big East starting things off right with a Xavier win tonight against NC State. I don't know much about NC State this year other than them barely making it in to the tourney courtesy of Politicking from Coach K and Pravda aka ESPN. Xavier in my estimation is much better than a play in team and they will showcase this tonight. I foresee a balanced effort by Xavier with multiple double digits scorers notching one for themselves and the league, 78-69. Go Muskies (is that right?)
You ever been to Lampasas, Texas?
Gibbsyonemoreyear!

Postby anXUfan » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:24 pm

UD has a pretty campus, loyal fans, and produces good employees. I'm just so, so, so sick of threads like these. That's really my main problem with them. I want to be able to talk about my school without having to also talk about theirs. I know it's not always UD fans who start it.
anXUfan

Postby bmorex » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:59 pm

ohiohsbball wrote:If the play-in game was at Xavier and Dayton was playing, are you trying to tell me Xavier fans wouldn't be massively rooting against Dayton?

I would be selling my ticket to the highest bidder and heading to Buffalo to actually root for MY team instead of wasting time and money heckling a rival.

So, no.
bmorex

Postby XUFan09 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:15 pm

Put together a preview. Just some key things that could be necessary for a Xavier victory.

http://fromstaaktomack.wordpress.com/20 ... -nc-state/
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby xbr1 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:21 pm

bmorex wrote:
ohiohsbball wrote:If the play-in game was at Xavier and Dayton was playing, are you trying to tell me Xavier fans wouldn't be massively rooting against Dayton?

I would be selling my ticket to the highest bidder and heading to Buffalo to actually root for MY team instead of wasting time and money heckling a rival.

So, no.

We have a winner.
xbr1

Postby ohiohsbball » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:54 pm

FormulaX wrote:ohioball, when you first posted. You said, "I'm not a dayton fan at all" You sure have a lot to say about Dayton. Why are you here?
Dayton now is the "crazy old girl friend that was also a family friend". Months later she is still stalking and txting. If you say somehting to anyone, their response is "you still like her!"

I wouldn't say I'm a Dayton fan; I'm from Middletown and graduated from Wright State; I'm more of a local homer. I would love to see all of the local teams do well, Xavier included. I'm pulling for them tonight. For me it sucks that UD and Ohio State play because it means one local team goes down. I joined this board because right now I have a lot of time on my hands (I'm on leave from work with the birth of my kid, so when he sleeps during the day I lurk around a lot of basketball boards to kill some time) and I love talking college basketball and most of the posters on here talk good ball. The only thing that drives me nuts is the arrogance some of the Xavier fans have towards Dayton. I've read comments ranging from Dayton not belonging on the same court as Xavier to the whole watermelon thing on this thread. If you go over to the Xavier board they talk about the UD Arena, which is nice enough for the NCAA to come to every year, being the UDump, and Xavier fans getting STDs from attending the Xavier game tonight; I mean some of that stuff is ridiculous. I know both fan bases have their share of aholes (trust me, I know a lot from both schools), but the extent some Xavier posters have gone to bash on Dayton when they aren't even in the conference is a little annoying. I do agree with Xavier fans that there are a lot of Dayton fans on this thread; I don't get that either.
ohiohsbball

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board