NCAA Tues - XAVIER vs nc state at Dayton, 9pm.

The home for Big East hoops

Re: NCAA Tues - XAVIER vs nc state at Dayton, 9pm.

Postby ruechalgrin » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:55 pm

PMThor wrote:Image

Yes, these are a couple of dayton guys who showed up at Xs practice today to chant "let's go flyers". That is some seriously messed up stuff. This is a practice session, for a team you didn't even play this year, aren't even in the same conference. Then to start chants for a team that is not involved in the game? On St. Paddys day no less. Now do people who aren't familiar with this dayton fanbase get it? Wackjobs.

Totally disagree, this is great. As long as they did not cross the line (i.e., racist comments) and I understand they were just chanting "let's go flyers," and "let's go wolfpack," this is what makes a good college basketball fun. Duke fans heckle all the time. UD fans are passionate, a little over the top at times and too often rose colored glasses, but passionate. Take it as a compliment Xavier fan, we wish we had the success you had the last 30 years (obviously I am a Dayton fan). Go Wolfpack! :-)
ruechalgrin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ruechalgrin » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:58 pm

Hoopfan wrote:
marquette wrote:
Xudash wrote: Many watermelons will be at risk prior to game time in Dayton, OH tomorrow evening.

Wow a lil racist here[/quote[/quote[/quote

This has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with racism.

This post is from 2012 and it states 8 years prior, to young for me. But not sure exact details ?http://www.xavierhoops.com/showthread.php?21178-Watermelon-jokes[/quote]

Totally false and absolutely racist overtones. Sorry X fans, this is where the line is crossed (Dayton fans cross it sometimes as well), but this crosses the line completely and actually does a disservice to Xavier fans.
ruechalgrin

Postby xbr1 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:02 pm

ruechalgrin wrote:

Yes, these are a couple of dayton guys who showed up at Xs practice today to chant "let's go flyers". That is some seriously messed up stuff. This is a practice session, for a team you didn't even play this year, aren't even in the same conference. Then to start chants for a team that is not involved in the game? On St. Paddys day no less. Now do people who aren't familiar with this dayton fanbase get it? Wackjobs.

Totally disagree, this is great. As long as they did not cross the line (i.e., racist comments) and I understand they were just chanting "let's go flyers," and "let's go wolfpack," this is what makes a good college basketball fun. Duke fans heckle all the time. UD fans are passionate, a little over the top at times and too often rose colored glasses, but passionate. Take it as a compliment Xavier fan, we wish we had the success you had the last 30 years (obviously I am a Dayton fan). Go Wolfpack! :-)

Why would they show up at a practice that has nothing to do with UD? Is Xavier playing UD tomorrow? Is it Saint Patrick's Day today? I had better things to do when I was in college.
xbr1

Postby Xudash » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:17 pm

ruechalgrin wrote: This post is from 2012 and it states 8 years prior, to young for me. But not sure exact details ?http://www.xavierhoops.com/showthread.php?21178-Watermelon-jokes.

Totally false and absolutely racist overtones. Sorry X fans, this is where the line is crossed (Dayton fans cross it sometimes as well), but this crosses the line completely and actually does a disservice to Xavier fans.

So you have no clue that this has to do with Keith Waleskowski? Do as you will, but I suggest you let it go. You've been a very reasonable poster around here. This had NOTHING to do with racism. It had everything to do with what was either a fabricated story or something that actually took place that then got out and resulted in an overreaction by that player and his father (they threatened a libel suit, if I recall correctly).
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby adoraz11 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:19 pm

xbr1 wrote:
ruechalgrin wrote:

Why would they show up at a practice that has nothing to do with UD? Is Xavier playing UD tomorrow? Is it Saint Patrick's Day today? I had better things to do when I was in college.

I'm not a big fan of Dayton joining based on overall basketball success, but think a rabid fan base would actually be a good thing for the BE. Too many current fan bases where people just don't care.
adoraz11

Postby Hoopfan » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:33 pm

Xudash wrote:
ruechalgrin wrote: This post is from 2012 and it states 8 years prior, to young for me. But not sure exact details ?http://www.xavierhoops.com/showthread.php?21178-Watermelon-jokes.

So you have no clue that this has to do with Keith Waleskowski? Do as you will, but I suggest you let it go. You've been a very reasonable poster around here. This had NOTHING to do with racism. It had everything to do with what was either a fabricated story or something that actually took place that then got out and resulted in an overreaction by that player and his father (they threatened a libel suit, if I recall correctly).

I posted the first part and he quoted it. I was still in hs at the time
Hoopfan

Postby jayelan » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:37 pm

Think the Dayton fans will be a little conflicted regarding the Xavier NC State game. Chris Mack sure didn't do his team any favors with his comments degrading the A-10 but neither did Coack K. From a few friends I talked to they were more upset with Coach K. Also said they would just watch the playin games like they do every year and not usually pick a favorite till halftime.

As for the students, I wouldn't worry about them as UD students don't really turn out for the playin games. Mostly older fans whom get their tickets included in their season package.

In St Louis right now and the mood here is not very positive. Coach Crews won COY for 2nd straight year but the team is fading, showing signs of fatigue losing 4 of their last 5 game. They don't go deep and Jett looks gassed. Xavier should handle them with ease.

I think the word that sums up the NCAA this year is parity. Wichita State is the only dominant team but their schedule was weak. Should be a great tourney with lots of upsets.
jayelan

Postby jayelan » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:43 pm

I should point out that I'm not really a big fan of any team East of Los Angeles but I will be rooting against all BCS schools other than PAC 12. Would love to see a non BCS final four.
jayelan

Postby jayelan » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:56 pm

BTW asked about the watermelon thing as it popped up a time or two here in St. Louis while we were here during the year. Told that it was a fabricated story by a Xavier student who meant it for fun but it took on a life of its own and he was outed somehow and had to recant the story after graduation as it followed him on job interviews.

Everyone has to realize the internet is not always anonymous as someone always knows who you are and can out you at anytime, where it comes back to bite you. Countless stories of posters posting things on the internet that has cost them their jobs or more.

For basketball fans of all schools don't post when you've been drinking. My rule has been to post my comments in word and save as a draft then review it the next morning to see if that is something I really want out there on the net. In other words I too get pretty heated at times and need a time out but find posting it in word lets me get it out of my system without posting it and regretting it the next day.
jayelan

Postby ruechalgrin » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:59 pm

Xudash wrote:

The fabricated tale I heard was Keith W. and another player who I won't name here as don't want to put his name into the myth, hence the reference to racism (true more sexual overtones, but an element of racism IMHO regarding the tale I heard about the other player). And have heard as well 4th hand that Keith W. and his father threatened a lawsuit because absolutely false. Anyway, totally false story.

Xudash, you are reasonable as well and this is your board, not mine. But I just hate blatant lies and the watermelon thing is a blatant lie.

All for UD has not won at X since Jimmy Carter because sad but true. All for "little brother" comments as again sad but true. All for you guys stating the unfortunately obvious position that you have owned UD for 30 years. All for you saying the BE is top conference and A-10 is mid-major conference because it is. All for other heckling that even has a smidgeon of truth. But the watermelon thing is libelous.
ruechalgrin

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board