Conference Realignment Thread v. 2016

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment thread v. 2016

Postby Xudash » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:06 pm

anXUfan wrote:
Jet915 wrote:Article with some quotes from Ackerman. Doesn't sound like expansion is happening anytime soon.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/04/03/ncaa-tournament-villanova-big-east

Some good quotes.

“A lot of boxes would have to get checked off for a team to be invited into the Big East at this point,” Ackerman said.

Anyone who doesn't understand that this is about BRAND MANAGEMENT and not gaming NCAA Tournament Units is clueless.

That quote reeks of schools that presently aren't available and may never be (i.e. Notre Dame, BC, etc.).
XAVIER
Xudash

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:56 am

Xudash wrote:
anXUfan wrote:
Jet915 wrote:Article with some quotes from Ackerman. Doesn't sound like expansion is happening anytime soon.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/04/03/ncaa-tournament-villanova-big-east

Some good quotes.

“A lot of boxes would have to get checked off for a team to be invited into the Big East at this point,” Ackerman said.

Anyone who doesn't understand that this is about BRAND MANAGEMENT and not gaming NCAA Tournament Units is clueless.

That quote reeks of schools that presently aren't available and may never be (i.e. Notre Dame, BC, etc.).

No maybe about it. Notre Dame needs a football league for bowl tie ins and BC is not passing on football dollars now that it has them.

For all the importance of Villanova's success, credit goes to the rest of the league as well. If Gonzaga, for example, had gotten to a F4 or even won a NC, no one would be describing their league as anything but still mid major.
Bill Marsh

Postby Xudash » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:05 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
Xudash wrote:

No maybe about it. Notre Dame needs a football league for bowl tie ins and BC is not passing on football dollars now that it has them.

For all the importance of Villanova's success, credit goes to the rest of the league as well. If Gonzaga, for example, had gotten to a F4 or even won a NC, no one would be describing their league as anything but still mid major.

Exactly. Well stated Bill.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby FenwayFriar » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:10 pm

Xudash wrote:
anXUfan wrote:

Some good quotes.

That's exactly what I thought to myself when I read her quotes. She is talking about a UConn dropping football, Wake Forest dropping football, etc. I completely understand these are extremely unlikely scenarios (just as ND, BC are) but I don't think we're expanding until something crazy happens with a current FBS school.
FenwayFriar

Postby Xudash » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:10 pm

FenwayFriar wrote:
Xudash wrote:
anXUfan wrote:Some good quotes.

That's exactly what I thought to myself when I read her quotes. She is talking about a UConn dropping football, Wake Forest dropping football, etc. I completely understand these are extremely unlikely scenarios (just as ND, BC are) but I don't think we're expanding until something crazy happens with a current FBS school.

Exactly.

They aren't going to dilute the conference by drawing from the A10. They most likely aren't going after Gonzaga for the logistical reasons already discussed. Beyond that, they aren't going elsewhere for another basketball school.

Why would they?

Val literally was quoted as saying we're "ahead of schedule" with what Nova has achieved this year. We're averaging 50% of the conference in the Tournament for each year we've been in existence as reconfigured. And we're beginning to pile up the NCAA Tournament Units.

Please allow me to keep going. Look where we're headed with some of our programs. DePaul has their new place coming up out of the ground now. Wojo is going to have Marquette back to being a force. Providence and Seton Hall are thriving. Watch out if Mullin turns out to be the right guy at St. Johns. Georgetown has to get things sorted out, but the Hoyas have such a strong brand that I don't see them going away any time soon. I see no worries with the other four programs.

Add to all that a very successful Big East Tournament this year and it's pretty clear the existing 10 schools can pack the house for that.

So, yes, that appears to be her focus: she's looking "up" to schools that are presently fussing over football that may not be able to fuss over football forever. And that is about looking and monitoring, not looking and desperately hoping that one of those schools will change their minds about football. The Big East has nothing to be desperate about. It's very comfortable and successful at 10, and it knows it can continue "as-is" while watching what breaks down what may be a long road.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:45 pm

FenwayFriar wrote:
Xudash wrote:
anXUfan wrote:

Some good quotes.

I don't believe for a minute that's what she is talking about. The speculation about UConn is totally out of left field. The university has literally spent hundreds of millions of dollars in the past decade or so to upgrade athletic facilities across the board - in lavish, state-of-the-art practice facilities as well as stadiums, fields, and arenas. Their BOT past a resolution within the past couple of months to open doors to new funding sources that will not tap student tuition as they've done in the past. So, the money train will continue.

The idea that UConn has made this extraordinary investment in athletics only so it can shut down the operation in a few years is turning a blind eye to reality. Cincy has made similar investments in their facilities as have other P5 aspirants. These are not "extremely unlikely" scenarios. They are nonexistent. UConn is never coming back. Neither are BC or Notre Dame, both of which are awash in money.

Their needs to be a reality check on this kind of speculation.

I have no idea what she means, but I can't believe that any competent conference executive would entertain that kind of delusional thinking. If there are no good options, then they will stay at 10, which is fine with me. If Fox demands more content, then they'll have a problem they'll have to deal with.
Bill Marsh

Postby stever20 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:55 pm

that's going to be the big thing. Fox. Very easy to see where they would demand more content. Especially if they don't get a good chunk of the Big Ten in basketball.
stever20

Postby FenwayFriar » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:13 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
FenwayFriar wrote:
Xudash wrote:“A lot of boxes would have to get checked off for a team to be invited into the Big East at this point,” Ackerman said.

I don't believe for a minute that's what she is talking about. The speculation about UConn is totally out of left field. The university has literally spent hundreds of millions of dollars in the past decade or so to upgrade athletic facilities across the board - in lavish, state-of-the-art practice facilities as well as stadiums, fields, and arenas. Their BOT past a resolution within the past couple of months to open doors to new funding sources that will not tap student tuition as they've done in the past. So, the money train will continue.

The idea that UConn has made this extraordinary investment in athletics only so it can shut down the operation in a few years is turning a blind eye to reality. Cincy has made similar investments in their facilities as have other P5 aspirants. These are not "extremely unlikely" scenarios. They are nonexistent. UConn is never coming back. Neither are BC or Notre Dame, both of which are awash in money.

Their needs to be a reality check on this kind of speculation.

I have no idea what she means, but I can't believe that any competent conference executive would entertain that kind of delusional thinking. If there are no good options, then they will stay at 10, which is fine with me. If Fox demands more content, then they'll have a problem they'll have to deal with.

So you're telling me that if in 10 years UConn is still in the AAC, have not been successful, have not been making bowls, have not been making money, and therefore their overall brand has negatively effected their basketball program they wouldn't think about dropping football?

Everyone knows the only chance of making it into the CFB Playoffs is if you're in a P5 league. If they are still in the AAC in 10 years, the "money train" will NOT continue. You can't be serious with that statement, right? The citizens of Connecticut aren't stupid. After a decade of losing (both money and on the field), they will be demanding a change. If you don't think this is possible, you're totally clueless. Again, I think this is doubtful to happen, but the chances are not "nonexistent." There's just no way you can speak in absolutes like that. The college athletic landscape is going to be changing significantly in the next 10 years- the have's and the have not's. If UConn feels they are in the have-not's, something COULD happen.

Until something crazy happens with an FBS schools happens, I'm content with 10. I don't want to become the A-10 2.0 so taking any of their schools is out of the question in my mind.
FenwayFriar

Postby BEX » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:50 pm

“There’s nothing cooking,” Ackerman said. “Our guys love 10. That’s it.”
BEX

Postby jaxalum » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:30 pm

BEX wrote:“There’s nothing cooking,” Ackerman said. “Our guys love 10. That’s it.”

I agree 100%.

BUT, if there's a gun to your head to expand, you make Gonzaga work. I don't know how logistically, as that is ALL that is holding them back. They are a PERFECT fit in every other way. Perception wise, nationally, this would be a "move the needle" type addition.
Xavier
jaxalum

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board