Conference Realignment Thread v. 2016

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment thread v. 2016

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:54 pm

USF is in Tampa, with UCF approx an hour away in Orlando. Tampa's 4 pro sports teams dominate the region. College sports are down the list, with neither of the two bringing a tv market. Both are primarily commuter schools, without a consistent following. Both Florida schools would be long shot plays IMO. Syracuse always draws well in Tampa - NCAA early round games - many alums in Central Florida.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BEX » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:08 am

I lived near UCF a couple years ago. The Season pass for BB floor seats was $250.00 and upper was $150.00. I just looked and it hasn't changed for '16. Facility was brand new. I used to get single games @ Subway for $7. but there were a lot of freebies floating around.
BEX

Postby _lh » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:58 am

I just don't think there are two teams the current 10 can agree on. BYU might have or had the best chance at getting enough yes votes but who is number 12 then? The AAC schools all have plenty of warts. None make a huge impact. You are just adding to add. The AAC schools will always say yes if asked so why not stay at 10, if ESPN and Fox don't want to pay to expand. A one loss B12 team will most likely make the playoffs every year and 10 is perfect for other sports, especially basketball.
Xavier
_lh

Postby DudeAnon » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:22 pm

_lh wrote:I just don't think there are two teams the current 10 can agree on. BYU might have or had the best chance at getting enough yes votes but who is number 12 then? The AAC schools all have plenty of warts. None make a huge impact. You are just adding to add. The AAC schools will always say yes if asked so why not stay at 10, if ESPN and Fox don't want to pay to expand. A one loss B12 team will most likely make the playoffs every year and 10 is perfect for other sports, especially basketball.

Weren't both TCU and Oklahoma (Baylor?) left out in 2 years ago despite 1 loss?
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Savannah Jay » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:36 pm

DudeAnon wrote:
_lh wrote:I just don't think there are two teams the current 10 can agree on. BYU might have or had the best chance at getting enough yes votes but who is number 12 then? The AAC schools all have plenty of warts. None make a huge impact. You are just adding to add. The AAC schools will always say yes if asked so why not stay at 10, if ESPN and Fox don't want to pay to expand. A one loss B12 team will most likely make the playoffs every year and 10 is perfect for other sports, especially basketball.

Yes, it was TCU and Baylor. Both 11-1 and ended up 5th and 6th in the committee rankings. Alabama, Oregon, Florida State, Ohio State were 1-4 and made the playoff.

For the comment about UCF being a commuter school, that has changed significantly. 11,000+ beds on campus now. But Orlando is such a hodge podge of entertainment that all plays second fiddle to the Mouse.

But I do agree about the appearance of "just adding to add." Looking at all of the mentioned schools, do any of them actually make the conference better in any respect? I just don't see it.
Savannah Jay

Postby Bill Marsh » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:42 pm

Savannah Jay wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:

Yes, it was TCU and Baylor. Both 11-1 and ended up 5th and 6th in the committee rankings. Alabama, Oregon, Florida State, Ohio State were 1-4 and made the playoff.

For the comment about UCF being a commuter school, that has changed significantly. 11,000+ beds on campus now. But Orlando is such a hodge podge of entertainment that all plays second fiddle to the Mouse.

But I do agree about the appearance of "just adding to add." Looking at all of the mentioned schools, do any of them actually make the conference better in any respect? I just don't see it.

Yes, they are "just adding to add", and in fact there are a variety of good reasons for them doing that. What they are not doing, by all accounts, is simply exploring the possibility. From everything I have read, there is no chance that they will take stock of the current prospects, change their mind, and stick at 10. It appears that the decision has been made and they will add. The only questions seem to be who and how many.

There are candidates who would make them better in some respect. BYU is a clear plus and UConn would make them better right off the bat in men's and women's basketball with the potential to eventually compete in football as well. Both have obvious drawbacks, but the B12 could do worse than simply adding those two.
Bill Marsh

Postby _lh » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:23 am

DudeAnon wrote:

That's why I said "most likely".
Xavier
_lh

Postby Gopher+RamFan » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:45 am

_lh wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:

That's why I said "most likely".

I think his point was that, in the only examples we have of that conferences 1 loss teams, they were not invited. I don't think they're likely to make the playoffs at all when the other conferences have championship games to solidify their spots. This is the very reason the big 12 is expanding, as well as more revenue with a championship game.
Gopher+RamFan

Postby HoosierPal » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:06 pm

There are only 2 votes that really count, Texas and Oklahoma. Reports I read said Texas favors Houston and OK favors Cincy. Will those two agree to support their rival's pick? There are still reports that any new Big 12 configuration won't last very long.
HoosierPal

Postby _lh » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:20 pm

Weren't both TCU and Oklahoma (Baylor?) left out in 2 years ago despite 1 loss?[/quote]

That's why I said "most likely".[/quote]

I think his point was that, in the only examples we have of that conferences 1 loss teams, they were not invited. I don't think they're likely to make the playoffs at all when the other conferences have championship games to solidify their spots. This is the very reason the big 12 is expanding, as well as more revenue with a championship game.[/quote]

Too small of a sample size to really tell either way. If it was Texas or Oklahoma with TCU's resume that year, they go over OSU.
Xavier
_lh

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board