Conference Realignment Thread v. 2016

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment thread v. 2016

Postby adoraz » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:50 pm

Wow. Well I'd take one of them. Two is too much. Need an East coast school.
Johnnies
adoraz

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jet915 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:51 pm

Sorry, our AD is awesome but he is off his rocker on this one. WIchita State? A community college academically? Good thing the President's will make the decision and not him....
Jet915

Postby trephin » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:08 pm

Why wouldn't he pander to a newspaper? It costs him nothing to get his university a positive mention

i always wondered, though, how a guy so influential and the face of CU athletics could have been so out of the loop and on a different page from his President 3 years ago when he was given so many exploratory jobs about joining the Big East.
trephin

Postby handdownmandown » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:23 pm

trephin wrote:i always wondered, though, how a guy so influential and the face of CU athletics could have been so out of the loop and on a different page from his President 3 years ago when he was given so many exploratory jobs about joining the Big East.

What?
handdownmandown

Postby jfan » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:52 pm

handdownmandown wrote:
trephin wrote:i always wondered, though, how a guy so influential and the face of CU athletics could have been so out of the loop and on a different page from his President 3 years ago when he was given so many exploratory jobs about joining the Big East.

What?
Yeah, double What?? He was all in on getting into the BE and did everything that was asked of him. The stories are he just didn't think we had a very good chance of getting into the BE. I think it was primarily geography. He was never out of the loop as far as I know. I think he's wrong on this one though!
CREIGHTON
jfan

Postby trephin » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:54 am

as per a newspaper article, pre invite, Fr Lannon requested Rasmussen run a bunch of feasibility studies about joining the big east. Rasmussen was quoted as saying he was getting very frustrated with all the work since he didn't think there was any chance of an invitation meanwhile Fr Lannon had some strong indications of one coming. Not sure if it was before or after the phone call with the league consul. so it just seemed odd that the two would have had such different takes on the situation and that Rasmussen would be so surprised by the invitation. It would seem difficult to think that Fr Lannon wouldn't have given him some hint of what was happening prior to any non disclosure agreement (and even if it was after the agreement, I wouldn't think it would preclude him telling Rasmussen something)
trephin

Postby HugeFan » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:52 am

Wichita state = program, but...
They just don't mve them weeke much in terms of national perception. Too new in the game as a contender. Located in wichita, so that's not going to do much from the view of the northeast teams.
Put that program in Pittsburgh and rename them Duquesne but with their recent success and we could talk. But they just don't have enough prestige like say a uconn to justify such a different type of institution.

Gonzaga? Sure. I would love it. Still see them as a logistical nightmare and not very realistic. But if they want in, then sure.

Uconn isn't dropping football this summer, so they aren't in the table (yet).

Nobody else to consider really.

If we add Gonzaga as an 11th team, that's not a bad idea. Go to 20 game round robin. Still is nice.
HugeFan

Postby James » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:26 am

Wichita State is a horrible fit off the court. I sincerely hope they don't consider this.

My preferences in order

1. Add Gonzaga
2. Stick at 10
We are New York's team. We are St. John's.
James

Postby mel ott » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:13 am

Wichita State is an awful fit. I don't get his take on this at all. I would think 90% of CU fans would not want them in the conference. It's going to be interesting to see how WSU plays out now that the conference is weaker and his 4 yr stars are gone.
mel ott

Postby beltwaybluejay » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:23 am

A D trying to goose St. louis.
beltwaybluejay

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board