NCAA: Providence v Southern Cal - Wed 9pm 3/15/17

The home for Big East hoops

Re: NCAA: Providence v Southern Cal - Wed 9pm 3/15/17

Postby BEwannabe » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:55 am

fyi, I took in the opening session last night and thought I would give you an update.

I'm going to guesstimate there is only about 2500 season ticket holders in attendance (20% of crowd tops) and no students although a handful of Flyer players were in attendance.

By the 2nd half of the 2nd game the Arena (after 1st tv timeout of 2nd half) was less than half full in what was a pretty competitive game.

SC will basically have no one attending so if anyone shows up from Providence then you'll have the advantage. That said, Wake had more fans but the Deacs didn't do much to get anyone's attention. Pretty dull night at the Arena except for the show the 5'5" player, Jr. Robinson from Mt St Mary's put on.
BEwannabe

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ArmyVet » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:00 pm

Good luck Friars!
ArmyVet

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:24 pm

stever20 wrote:so looking at USC- 1 number really stuck out to me....

their free throw rate defense. It was #5 in the country- only 23.9%.

I think the way the NCAA tourney games are officiated- will favor PC GREATLY.

Pac 12 conference games were #32(least) in all the conferences in fta/fga. So I think USC may get shocked when they have refs that call it the NCAA way now.

A couple of other things stuck out to me. USC is a very good FT shooting team 74% on the season and 75% in conference, meaning that they were getting better as the season progressed. PC shot 69% on FTs for the season, 68% in conference, meaning that they were getting worse as the season progressed. FTs were really a problem for the Friars late in the season, below 60% in 3 of their last 4 games and 62% or less in 4 of their last 5 games. Hitting FTs matters in close games. The misses finally cost them in the loss to Creighton in the BE tournament.

The other thing that was a problem for the Friars down the stretch was turnovers, averaging 17.7 in their last 3 games. The 22 turnovers in the Creighton loss really killed them. Turnovers also hurt a lot in close games, USC doesn't turn the ball over much, averaging over 11 per game.

Both the FTs and the TOs suggest to me that the Friars are tired. It's been a long season in a physically tough league. They were in a lot of close games down the stretch in which they had to expend a lot of energy, fighting to the end. They're not a deep team to begin with, so I have a hunch that they're wearing down. I'll be cheering for them tonight, but I think that USC will be a challenging opponent as they were last year.
Bill Marsh

Postby EMT » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:02 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
stever20 wrote:so looking at USC- 1 number really stuck out to me....

their free throw rate defense. It was #5 in the country- only 23.9%.

I think the way the NCAA tourney games are officiated- will favor PC GREATLY.

Pac 12 conference games were #32(least) in all the conferences in fta/fga. So I think USC may get shocked when they have refs that call it the NCAA way now.

A couple of other things stuck out to me. USC is a very good FT shooting team 74% on the season and 75% in conference, meaning that they were getting better as the season progressed. PC shot 69% on FTs for the season, 68% in conference, meaning that they were getting worse as the season progressed. FTs were really a problem for the Friars late in the season, below 60% in 3 of their last 4 games and 62% or less in 4 of their last 5 games. Hitting FTs matters in close games. The misses finally cost them in the loss to Creighton in the BE tournament.

The other thing that was a problem for the Friars down the stretch was turnovers, averaging 17.7 in their last 3 games. The 22 turnovers in the Creighton loss really killed them. Turnovers also hurt a lot in close games, USC doesn't turn the ball over much, averaging over 11 per game.

Both the FTs and the TOs suggest to me that the Friars are tired. It's been a long season in a physically tough league. They were in a lot of close games down the stretch in which they had to expend a lot of energy, fighting to the end. They're not a deep team to begin with, so I have a hunch that they're wearing down. I'll be cheering for them tonight, but I think that USC will be a challenging opponent as they were last year.

Friars FTs are closer to 72% without Kalif Young factored in. If he's active and fouled, it could be a long night. This is the same team that went 24-28 from the line a couple of weeks ago against DePaul so their recent struggles are puzzling. I'm actually not that worried about TOs. They averaged only 12 a game in conference this year and the last three games that you reference were against the top 3 teams in the conference in forcing TOs. Additionally, Kyron flew back and forth to LA last week for his grandmother's funeral prior to the Creighton game.

If the Friars are around their average for FTs, I think they pull it out.
EMT

Re: NCAA: Prov v Southern Cal - Wed 9pm 3/15/17

Postby thebigeXpress » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:58 pm

MUBoxer wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:
billyjack wrote:Play in game from Dayton OH. Would love to get some love from our Flyer friends.

They are actually having a debate about that right now. http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30676

Doesn't look like it will be a favorable home crowd.

Sometimes I wish we'd add Dayton just so we could read the sudden love and excitement their bitter fans would have and call it out.

Xavier and Marquette are the two teams from the BE they despise the most. They claim our Jesuit hand kept them out. FWIW a few years ago we played in the PIG against N.C. State and they heavily favored the Wolfpack. Not so much love for us. Come on Friars.
thebigeXpress

Re: NCAA: Prov v Southern Cal - Wed 9pm 3/15/17

Postby Xudash » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:20 pm

thebigeXpress wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:
They are actually having a debate about that right now. http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30676

Doesn't look like it will be a favorable home crowd.

Sometimes I wish we'd add Dayton just so we could read the sudden love and excitement their bitter fans would have and call it out.
Xavier and Marquette are the two teams from the BE they despise the most. They claim our Jesuit hand kept them out. FWIW a few years ago we played in the PIG against N.C. State and they heavily favored the Wolfpack. Not so much love for us. Come on Friars.

UDPRIDE is a delusional Internet cesspool that is best left to its homer UD fans. Of course, similar to the morbid curiosity that comes with watching a train wreck, Dude's link sent me over there to take a peek at what the Flyer faithful thinks these days when it comes to the Big East.

I'd say the results aren't surprising. You have a few fans who understand the substantial benefits that would accrue to Dayton if it were to somehow become a member of the Big East. Otherwise, in typical UD fandom fashion, they want to see the Big East fail and otherwise believe that it is in Dayton's best interests to remain a big fish in the watered down A10 pond.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the continuing level of hatred for Xavier, but it is entertaining. Poor fellows.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:02 pm

And so it begins. NCAA 2017.

Cheers everyone
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby pki1998 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:09 pm

Let's go Friars. I am sure you will represent the Big East well tonight
Xavier
pki1998

Postby ecasadoSBU » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:27 pm

Souther Cal came out furious! 10-4 lead
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby kayako » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:34 pm

Dude shut up with SIX-TEN.
supernova
kayako

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board