JT3 fired by Georgetown

The home for Big East hoops

Re: JT3 fired by Georgetown

Postby billyjack » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:31 pm

Sorry to see this happen, but I understand it. Sorry because if it wasn't for JT Jr, there is no way that Georgetown would have ever come close to where it is today as a college hoops blueblood. The Hoyas would be probably on par with other ECAC-South schools... James Madison, Towson, William & Mary... probably in the CAA or SoCon.

Having said all that, looking at potential replacements:
- Gregg Marshall would be good.
- Tom Crean would be good.
- Tommy Amaker, please no. Would be a disaster. Cheats and bends the rules at Harvard. From the weak Coach K coaching tree.
- Dan Hurley... not sure that he'd be a good fit... 5 weeks ago URI fans were calling for his head... needed an improbable late season run to make the NCAA's for the first time... head-scratching losses including home to Fordham by 10, La Salle, disastrous collapses like home vs Dayton... would be a weird culture change, like if NBC fired Tom Brokaw and replaced him with Rip Taylor.
- King Rice, I don't know enough about him.
- Archie Miller would be fine I think.
- Hoya alums, not sure I'd know enough about them.
- Brad Stevens would be good.
- Billy Donovan would be good.
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Red Rooster » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:31 pm

cu blujs wrote:Maybe that's one Gregggggg Marshall would consider. That would give me a great reason to start hating GT basketball. Need to somehow figure out a way to develop a healthy disdain for some BE teams. Just haven't been able to get there yet, since joining the league. I guess still to giddy over being in the BE.

I doubt that happens. Some people may not be aware of the perks Marshall receives at Wichita State (ie, uses university jet for recruiting, use of the jet two or three times a year for vacationing, courtesy vehicles, complimentary use of a couple of golf clubs). His salary increases to $3.5 million in another year, and he's the only game in town.

I think it may take quite a bit to pry him away from Wichita State.
Red Rooster

Postby stever20 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:35 pm

interesting:
Pete Thamel‏Verified account @SIPeteThamel · 10m10 minutes ago
Smartest Gtown move? Shaka Smart has no real buyout. Can they top $3 mill? Also: Amaker, A.Miller, Crean. Who wants to deal with Big John?
stever20

Postby DudeAnon » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:42 pm

This hiring will say alot about the perception of the Big East. Georgetown has the largest budget and the best reputation in the entire conference. If anyone can bring in a hot name it is them.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby anXUfan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:45 pm

Get Archie Miller before the Big Ten does.
anXUfan

Postby BEhomer » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:47 pm

they should consult with Butler AD. They always seem to come up with the right hire.
BEhomer

Postby Hoya Hoya Hoya » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:48 pm

Really hope its not Amaker

Would be so pumped for Ewing though!!!
@BasketballOP
Hoya Hoya Hoya

Patrick Ewing's Candidacy @ Georgetown re-establishes the BE

Postby CrawfishBucket » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:59 pm

I really like what I’m hearing about Ewing’s candidacy.
For those of us who grew up in the mid 80s, Ewing WAS college basketball. I don’t think the country had ever seen such a phenomenon before or since… with an exception being Alcindor.
I suspect that JT and Ewing have already talked (not inside info… just my hunch)
A Ewing hire at Georgetown would be great for the conference, and would match St John’s hire of Mullin.
BOTH THOSE HIRES really brings this version of the Big East back to its roots. I can’t wait for Ewing to stand opposite Mullin for some serious coaching battles to rivals the coaches in the early days.
As many have speculated, JT WILL be involved. As he should be.
I can’t imagine a better scenario then for Patrick to have his shot with his mentor there as a resource. It’s a slam dunk.. and we know big man can slam dunk.
Ewing/Mullin would definitely re-establish things around here. Let’s see how this goes.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby BEhomer » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:59 pm

Ewing's been an assistant in the nba for a long time. so you have to ask yourself why hasn't he been able to land a head coaching gig yet?

on the other hand, ewing vs mullin bench shouting match?
BEhomer

Postby CrawfishBucket » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:02 pm

Hoya Hoya Hoya wrote:Really hope its not Amaker

Would be so pumped for Ewing though!!!

Same here. Super amped about this opportunity for Patrick to perhaps return.

Having Mullin and Ewing coaching their old teams would give the new conference some of that old magic.

JT would be an incredible resource for him. I don't think there is a better individual for this job.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board