JT3 fired by Georgetown

The home for Big East hoops

Re: JT3 fired by Georgetown

Postby brianxavier » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:08 pm

I am always surprised by some of the names thrown out there....

from various basketball podcasts I listen to - I would be STUNNED if Archie Miller would consider Georgetown. The not-so-secret word on the street is he wants the Ohio State job when if opens up.

Why the heck would Georgetown want a guy like Amaker? He seems to have failed twice already at bigger schools. As a Xavier fan, I'm all for him going to Georgetown. ;)

Why would Shaka Smart leave Texas? I can't image Georgetown paying more or offering more perks, etc. Apparently Texas is considered one of the best basketball jobs in the country - due to the facilities, recruiting pool, and the fact that it's a football school (less pressure, more realistic expectations I guess).

Also, why would anyone want Tom Crean?
brianxavier

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MUBoxer » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:16 pm

billyjack wrote:Sorry to see this happen, but I understand it. Sorry because if it wasn't for JT Jr, there is no way that Georgetown would have ever come close to where it is today as a college hoops blueblood. The Hoyas would be probably on par with other ECAC-South schools... James Madison, Towson, William & Mary... probably in the CAA or SoCon.

Having said all that, looking at potential replacements:
- Gregg Marshall would be good.
- Tom Crean would be good.
- Tommy Amaker, please no. Would be a disaster. Cheats and bends the rules at Harvard. From the weak Coach K coaching tree.
- Dan Hurley... not sure that he'd be a good fit... 5 weeks ago URI fans were calling for his head... needed an improbable late season run to make the NCAA's for the first time... head-scratching losses including home to Fordham by 10, La Salle, disastrous collapses like home vs Dayton... would be a weird culture change, like if NBC fired Tom Brokaw and replaced him with Rip Taylor.
- King Rice, I don't know enough about him.
- Archie Miller would be fine I think.
- Hoya alums, not sure I'd know enough about them.
- Brad Stevens would be good.
- Billy Donovan would be good.

Georgetown is not a Blue blood.

15 schools have more championships (tied with 19 others)
12 schools have more final fours (tied with 6 others)
19 schools have more NCAA appearances (tied with 2 others)

There is no way you can consider them a blue blood.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:23 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
ivet wrote:I like Dan Hurley. Catholic guy with basketball family. Attended Seton Hall. Proven he can win-see URI!

I was thinking the same thing. He's a Big East guy. In addition to any networks he's built while at URI, his father gives him instant recruiting connections into the New Jersey talent pool.

Personally, I'd prefer they stick to their own recruiting territory. We have enough NJ talent getting poached as it is.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby RedStorm » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:29 pm

A couple of other names I haven't heard but that the Hoyas should definitely be looking at are Tim Jankovich of SMU and Randy Bennett of St. Marys.
Both really good coaches
RedStorm

Postby stever20 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:29 pm

brianxavier wrote:I am always surprised by some of the names thrown out there....

from various basketball podcasts I listen to - I would be STUNNED if Archie Miller would consider Georgetown. The not-so-secret word on the street is he wants the Ohio State job when if opens up.

Why the heck would Georgetown want a guy like Amaker? He seems to have failed twice already at bigger schools. As a Xavier fan, I'm all for him going to Georgetown. ;)

Why would Shaka Smart leave Texas? I can't image Georgetown paying more or offering more perks, etc. Apparently Texas is considered one of the best basketball jobs in the country - due to the facilities, recruiting pool, and the fact that it's a football school (less pressure, more realistic expectations I guess).

Also, why would anyone want Tom Crean?

Why would Shaka leave Texas? More familiar recruiting area for one. Georgetown gets him back in the mid-atlantic area that he did so well with VCU.

And no, Texas isn't one of the best basketball jobs in the country. Probably not close to the top 20. Texas to Georgetown would be a step up.
stever20

Postby Hoya33 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:42 pm

No need to complicate things.

Call Shaka Smart. Then it goes Tommy Amaker, Patrick Ewing, and Jamion Christian.

The mid-Atlantic has the best high school basketball in the country and Georgetown has a lot to offer. Keep it simple.
Hoya33

Postby brianxavier » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:42 pm

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/ ... asketball/
(regarding the best/elite jobs in college basketball)
I guess this is just one guy's opinion... but I think Rob at NBC knows college basketball pretty well.

And for what it's worth, I think you should absolutely call Shaka Smart... but I'd still be surprised if he left Texas. It'd be great if I'm wrong for Georgetown.

It would be interesting to see who the college basketball coaches think are the best jobs in college.
Last edited by brianxavier on Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
brianxavier

Postby anXUfan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:43 pm

I think you want an energetic coach who has proven they can win at the college level. Ewing seems like a huge gamble to me.
anXUfan

Postby EMT » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:58 pm

If Ewing gets it JT Jr is still running the place.
EMT

Postby Jet915 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:08 pm

Whose gonna want to come with Big John looming over the program, wonder if that will turn some big names off....No to Amaker, he's failed at big programs, Hurle6 barely made the NCAAs for the first time at URI, resume too thin. Miller or Marshall would be home runs but I doubt they bite.
Jet915

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board