JT3 fired by Georgetown

The home for Big East hoops

Re: JT3 fired by Georgetown

Postby Hoya33 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:16 pm

brianxavier wrote:http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2015/06/03/what-are-the-elite-jobs-in-college-basketball/
(regarding the best/elite jobs in college basketball)
I guess this is just one guy's opinion... but I think Rob at NBC knows college basketball pretty well.

And for what it's worth, I think you should absolutely call Shaka Smart... but I'd still be surprised if he left Texas. It'd be great if I'm wrong for Georgetown.

It would be interesting to see who the college basketball coaches think are the best jobs in college.

Georgetown and Villanova are the premier jobs in the Big East. I would rather live in Washington DC than Austin, tx. I dislike sprawl cities.

Both Amaker and Ewing would be great. There is a ton of talent within 100 miles of campus. New energy is one the program needs.
Hoya33

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:21 pm

Hoya33 wrote:
brianxavier wrote:http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2015/06/03/what-are-the-elite-jobs-in-college-basketball/
(regarding the best/elite jobs in college basketball)
I guess this is just one guy's opinion... but I think Rob at NBC knows college basketball pretty well.

And for what it's worth, I think you should absolutely call Shaka Smart... but I'd still be surprised if he left Texas. It'd be great if I'm wrong for Georgetown.

It would be interesting to see who the college basketball coaches think are the best jobs in college.

Georgetown and Villanova are the premier jobs in the Big East. I would rather live in Washington DC than Austin, tx. I dislike sprawl cities.

Both Amaker and Ewing would be great. There is a ton of talent within 100 miles of campus. New energy is one the program needs.

I want absolutely nothing to do with Ewing. I think he would be a brutal hire. Need to go forwards, not backwards.
stever20

Postby Hoya33 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:32 pm

To dismiss Ewing, I know is a mistake. He is an intelligent person who has worked as a NBA assistant for 13 years. Next year's team will show Mullin has worked at St. John's and Ewing would work at Georgetown. Their job is ultimately to convince, at this level, 18 years olds that they can get them to the NBA. Ewing would do well.
Hoya33

Postby Randy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:56 pm

I just hate going the former all-time great route. It is backwards looking and seems to rarely work out while creating an awkward situation when things go bad.

I would really look at Randy Bennett, currently at Saint Mary's. Would be a can't miss hire.
Randy

Postby billyjack » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:58 pm

Bennett's strategy was to sign a ton of Aussies. Not sure it would work in DC.
Providence
billyjack

Postby anXUfan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:02 pm

Randy wrote:I just hate going the former all-time great route. It is backwards looking and seems to rarely work out while creating an awkward situation when things go bad.

Really agree with this statement. And I think the jury is still out on the Mullin hire.
anXUfan

Postby NJRedman » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:09 pm

cu blujs wrote:Maybe that's one Gregggggg Marshall would consider. That would give me a great reason to start hating GT basketball. Need to somehow figure out a way to develop a healthy disdain for some BE teams. Just haven't been able to get there yet, since joining the league. I guess still to giddy over being in the BE.

I would love for the AAC to invite WSU and the next day Marshall accept the GTown job. hahaha
NJRedman

Postby EMT » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:12 pm

Hoya33 wrote:To dismiss Ewing, I know is a mistake. He is an intelligent person who has worked as a NBA assistant for 13 years. Next year's team will show Mullin has worked at St. John's and Ewing would work at Georgetown. Their job is ultimately to convince, at this level, 18 years olds that they can get them to the NBA. Ewing would do well.

Mullin was hired because SJU was desperate at the time. We will see if it works out and I hope it does for their sake and the sake of the BE. Ewing was on Dan Patrick this week and said while he hoped that JT3 kept his job that he would listen if they called him. He said his preference remains getting an NBA job. It didn't sound like he would put his name in... But it might have been deference to JT3 and his son on the staff.

Gtown just had a coach that was very difficult to fire. Imagine if Ewing doesn't work out.
EMT

Postby mel ott » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:14 pm

NJRedman wrote:
cu blujs wrote:Maybe that's one Gregggggg Marshall would consider. That would give me a great reason to start hating GT basketball. Need to somehow figure out a way to develop a healthy disdain for some BE teams. Just haven't been able to get there yet, since joining the league. I guess still to giddy over being in the BE.

I would love for the AAC to invite WSU and the next day Marshall accept the GTown job. hahaha

Good one. Also, with Marshall you get the added benefit of his wife. You can watch her scream at the other team, refs, and opposing coaches. She has been exited out of NCAA tournie in Omaha a couple of years ago and duplicated her effort at this year's NCAA tournie. They ooze of class and will bring that to the DC area. Great coach- crazy couple.

Lastly, I don't see why people think Amaker would be good? Going the old HOF route, Creighton tried that for a couple of years with Willis Reed. Great, class guy, but couldn't coach or translate his heart to some of the team (Benoit Benjamin)!
mel ott

Postby Hoya33 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:18 pm

Greg Marshall, Archie Miller, Tom Crean, and Randy Bennett are not good fits for the university.
Hoya33

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board