Hoyas, It's Ewing (Page 8), New Coaching Staff (Page 10)...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: New Georgetown Coaching Search Thread...

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:30 pm

DudeAnon wrote:Yo Hoyas, what the f---?

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0 ... 62443374-4
Georgetown put out strong feelers to Xavier's Chris Mack at $4 million per year, source told ESPN. Mack staying at Xavier.

Jeff Goodman, ESPN Insider

I don't get this even a little bit if true. Trying to steal away a coach from a conference mate? Do schools in power conferences really do that? For $4M a year don't you think you could get Greg Marshall, or maybe pry Tony Bennett from UVA, (who makes only $2M a year). I just hate the idea of trying to steal an established coach from a conf school. Really bad optics there IMO.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby xavierfano8 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:39 pm

Don't really have a problem with this. Same thing when they had interest in Cooley.

If they are willing to pay $4mil per year they should be able to get a pretty solid coach who has had established success. Hopefully some of those coaches will see that number and give Georgetown a call.
Xavier University '12
xavierfano8

Postby BEwannabe » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:10 pm

Georgetown is at least getting close to what it would take financially for an Alpha Dog to take the reins knowing they had Big John Alpha Dog looking after their every move. But really, going after your fellow conference mate Xavier's Chris Mack. Amoral.
BEwannabe

Postby Xavier4036 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:30 pm

This is true. Mack and Goodman are pretty close. Goodman's "inside source" is likely Mack himself.

What a bullsh-- move by Georgetown. But also pretty pathetic. Shows the state of the Georgetown program. Goes after another Big East school's coach, offers Mack more than double his salary and Mack very publicly and very flatly denies them. Power move by him.

Maybe the problem at Georgetown wasn't JT3, but is the administration. Who is running the place? They are in DC, in the Big East, one of the most storied/successful college basketball programs, unlimited resources and offer $4M/year and they can't get anyone? Seems to be an AD/President problem.
Xavier4036

Postby Red Rooster » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:34 pm

Xavier4036 wrote:This is true. Mack and Goodman are pretty close. Goodman's "inside source" is likely Mack himself.

What a bullsh-- move by Georgetown. But also pretty pathetic. Shows the state of the Georgetown program. Goes after another Big East school's coach, offers Mack more than double his salary and Mack very publicly and very flatly denies them. Power move by him.

Maybe the problem at Georgetown wasn't JT3, but is the administration. Who is running the place? They are in DC, in the Big East, one of the most storied/successful college basketball programs, unlimited resources and offer $4M/year and they can't get anyone? Seems to be an AD/President problem.

I also don't care for attempting to poach a coach from the same conference. It's not particularly a good look and even worst look getting turned down. IMO, Mack and Cooley are going to be at their respective schools for a long time, and probably could only be pulled away by a "blue blood." Otherwise, I don't any other program have a chance.

Frankly, I hope Georgetown ends up with Amaker. :D
Red Rooster

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:03 pm

Meanwhile national letter of intent day is less than 2 weeks away. :roll:
Bill Marsh

Postby marquette » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:07 pm

While I'm not a big fan of the idea of taking a coach from a fellow conference school I think it does show two positive things: (1) If he didn't bolt for $4 million at Georgetown, Mack isn't leaving Xavier. It's not about the money for him. (2) If Georgetown is spending what Indiana did, it shows strength in the conference and makes it likely they will get a great coach.

As an aside, Georgetown may have lost an ally if the conference starts looking at expansion and VCU is on the table again.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby Hoya33 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:03 pm

This is absurd. Georgetown hired a search firm; probably, representatives from twenty coaches have been approached indirectly. If this did happen, it likely happened without the AD or Tagliabue knowing. This sounds more like Goodman helping Mack extract some more money from Xavier. The fake outrage is funny.
Hoya33

Postby JohnW22 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:03 pm

Can't blame Georgetown. They're for themselves before the Big East as all programs are. They want the best they think they can get and right now they must think it's Mack. I can't fault a program for going for who they want. If Mack takes it that will be a major blow but Georgetown is a better program. Also can Georgetown just be satisfied by stealing DSR from X...don't push your luck :lol:
XU
JohnW22

Postby herodotus » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:14 pm

I wonder if some coaches are hesitant to go in behind JT3 because of Big John, and the fact that there may be people in DC (AAU types, HS coaches), that are pissed that JT3 got the boot, and see it as a disrespect of Big John? If there are folks in DC determined to work against the program, that could be a problem, especially if they hire the wrong coach.
herodotus

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board