Hoyas, It's Ewing (Page 8), New Coaching Staff (Page 10)...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: New Georgetown Coaching Search Thread...

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:21 pm

herodotus wrote:I wonder if some coaches are hesitant to go in behind JT3 because of Big John, and the fact that there may be people in DC (AAU types, HS coaches), that are pissed that JT3 got the boot, and see it as a disrespect of Big John? If there are folks in DC determined to work against the program, that could be a problem, especially if they hire the wrong coach.

Actually you might have it backwards. I recall seeing comments that JT3 did not endear himself to the local AAU hoops scene. A new face might open up a pipeline not close it. I don't recall the Hoyas dominating their own backyard recruiting wise. Whether through ineptitude or purposely JT3 has missed on a lot of great local players. Chris Lykes, VJ King, Fultz, Hart, Jenkins. May be wrong but it seems like MD is the choice of locals wanting to play close to home.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BEXU » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:46 pm

JohnW22 wrote:.... but Georgetown is a better program. :lol:

Not sure what you've been smoking the last few years.
BEXU

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:14 pm

What about Capel? Haven't seen his name mentioned.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby hoyahooligan » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:19 pm

Georgetown did not actually offer Mack. Goodman and Mack are friends. Mack had him float the story to get a raise.

But I have no problem going after any coach no matter where they coach. That being said the only BE coach I would want that would consider leaving their current spot is Holtman. I'd love Cooley or Mack, or obviously Jay but none of those guys would leave their place for any job.

I do believe we'll get a big name coach from a power conference school, because we are willing to pay the kind of money referenced.
hoyahooligan

Postby JohnW22 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:13 pm

BEXU wrote:

I'm talking historically and facility wise.
XU
JohnW22

Postby herodotus » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:40 am

JohnW22 wrote:
BEXU wrote:

I'm talking historically and facility wise.

Definitely historically, but I'm not sure that long term, X having Cintas isn't a better situation than playing in an NBA arena off campus. NBA arenas are great when you're winning, but can quickly become mausoleum-like if a team has an extended dry spell. I understand Georgetown's situation, being located in an historic district, where basically nothing can be torn down, but man, it would be nice to have an on campus facility where they could at least play their ooc cupcakes, let alone a modern 10-12,000 seat on campus facility that they controlled.
herodotus

Postby jaxalum » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:48 pm

I will let this play out, allow the facts to come to the surface, and then judge.

IF TRUE, Georgetown has immediately vaulted to the VERY top my go f#ck yourselves/top rival/sh#tlist.

There is NO defending this if true, and Gtown fans should not try to justify something so eggregiously slimy and underhanded. Just reverse the roles and see how you would feel.
Xavier
jaxalum

Postby CrawfishBucket » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:27 pm

jaxalum wrote:There is NO defending this if true, and Gtown fans should not try to justify something so eggregiously slimy and underhanded. Just reverse the roles and see how you would feel.

NEWSFLASH: WE are COMPETITORS! This is not Woodstock! Georgetown should not limit itself according to conference affiliation. In fact, its arguably better to get a coach with a proven track record in this conference. What are you thinking man?
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby EMT » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:45 pm

CrawfishBucket wrote:
jaxalum wrote:There is NO defending this if true, and Gtown fans should not try to justify something so eggregiously slimy and underhanded. Just reverse the roles and see how you would feel.

NEWSFLASH: WE are COMPETITORS! This is not Woodstock! Georgetown should not limit itself according to conference affiliation. In fact, its arguably better to get a coach with a proven track record in this conference. What are you thinking man?

— I had this conversation with Dave years ago – one of the basic tenets of the conference had to be loyalty to your school, sure. But also, loyalty to the league was important during its initial growth period.

— Gavitt wouldn’t allow coaches to entertain the thought of moving to a neighbor or a rival school, feeling a change like that could stir up too much emotion, bad blood, back-fighting and ill will. Rick Barnes had a possible chance, years ago, to pull a switch like this. Gavitt blocked it.

http://mashup.weei.com/sports/2017/03/3 ... providence
EMT

Postby billyjack » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:52 pm

CrawfishBucket wrote:

No, you shouldn't try to poach from your own conference, whether it's a player transfer (great rule) like Tremont Waters or any coach. It hurts the conference by destabilizing teams at a time when carrion-eating hyenas like ESPN are yipping, and makes Georgetown look like sh-t.
Providence
billyjack

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board