NCAA Tues - XAVIER vs nc state at Dayton, 9pm.

The home for Big East hoops

Re: NCAA Tues - XAVIER vs nc state at Dayton, 9pm.

Postby shupirate98 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:50 pm

billyjack wrote:
shupirate98 wrote:NC State is just better. Significantly better. I know we're all trying to pump up our league here but if you were looking at it objectively this result shouldn't have been surprising. I have great hope for the future of this league but this year the Big East was just not very good and tonight was symbolic of that.

The game was a 4 to 8 point game most of the way. When X started gambling to make up points in the last 6 minutes, the margin got wider. Warren was great and hit some tough shots. NC State has Lewis and Vanderberg, plus the 500 lb guy, who were useless on offense. I'm not going to break down XU's gameplan right now cuz I don't want to irritate XU fans and the rest of us right now, but they needed to play more aggressively and show some muscle and give some hard fouls... there were a number of fast break layups that were uncontested with a Muskie just conceding the 2 points, but which needed and required hard fouls to make NC State get a little bit of fear, plus make them earn points from the line. Just my 2 cents.

It wasn't a full-fledged blowout throughout but was there ever really a point in the 2nd half where you thought Xavier was going to win? Always had the sense NC State could keep them at arm's length. Let's be honest if Stainbrook doesn't show up big-time that game is an abject disaster. Xavier fans I'm sure will be disappointed tonight but all in all a successful first year for them in the league. But with only 4 teams in losing 1 right away puts the league in bit of a pickle. One slip from either of our big two and it's not gonna be a good look for us.
shupirate98

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby mpwalsh8 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:30 am

billyjack wrote:
shupirate98 wrote:NC State is just better. Significantly better. I know we're all trying to pump up our league here but if you were looking at it objectively this result shouldn't have been surprising. I have great hope for the future of this league but this year the Big East was just not very good and tonight was symbolic of that.

The game was a 4 to 8 point game most of the way. When X started gambling to make up points in the last 6 minutes, the margin got wider. Warren was great and hit some tough shots. NC State has Lewis and Vanderberg, plus the 500 lb guy, who were useless on offense. I'm not going to break down XU's gameplan right now cuz I don't want to irritate XU fans and the rest of us right now, but they needed to play more aggressively and show some muscle and give some hard fouls... there were a number of fast break layups that were uncontested with a Muskie just conceding the 2 points, but which needed and required hard fouls to make NC State get a little bit of fear, plus make them earn points from the line. Just my 2 cents.

By all accounts (local TV, PackPride), Tyler Lewis had the best game of his life. Based on what I saw and having seen 10-12 NC State games this year I would agree. I am surprised Lewis was effective against X, he is not big, he is not quick and he is not a great shooter. I have a soft spot for the Wolfpack as they're my local team but I was rooting for the Big East to do well last night.
mpwalsh8

Postby bman95 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:19 am

You need to be more physical with Tyler Lewis. The entire time he was moving around without any contact from X players. He's the type of kid that if you knock him on his ass one time or stick yiur elbow into his chest ,he is flustered for the rest of the game.
bman95

Postby Chalmers0 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:36 am

bman95 wrote:You need to be more physical with Tyler Lewis. The entire time he was moving around without any contact from X players. He's the type of kid that if you knock him on his ass one time or stick yiur elbow into his chest ,he is flustered for the rest of the game.

Yup. I've been an overall fan of Mack but I did not agree with his decision to have Dee guard Ralston Turner (who shot over him with relative ease a few times) and have Semaj guard Tyler Lewis. And if you are going to have Semaj guard Lewis, at least have him get up in Lewis' face and use his extreme length advantage to get in passing lanes and fluster him. If you give Lewis that kind of space to operate with, he is going to find open guys, he has GREAT court awareness and passing ability.

Overall it wasn't that we lost last night, it was how we lost. Just too many stupid and lazy mistakes and then we just seemed to mail it in down the stretch. Two things that are obviously not acceptable in an NCAA Tourney game.
Chalmers0

Postby mpwalsh8 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:56 am

Chalmers0 wrote:
Overall it wasn't that we lost last night, it was how we lost. Just too many stupid and lazy mistakes and then we just seemed to mail it in down the stretch. Two things that are obviously not acceptable in an NCAA Tourney game.

I didn't see all of the game last night but what I did see reminded me of Villanova's first half performance against Seton Hall last week. No sense of urgency on defense. By the time they ratcheted up the intensity, they were in a hole.
mpwalsh8

Postby HoosierPal » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:09 am

Coach K must be smiling. He has the ACC v A10 matchup he so despises.
HoosierPal

Postby Xudash » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:38 am

This edition of Xavier basketball has been frustrating. It's good that they finished with an NCAA bid and managed to place 4 spots above where they were projected in conference performance, but this group could never reach a sustainable level of confident play. The team that went on the road most of the time simply would hang itself. The team that beat UC could hang with most programs around the country. But what happened that night? X was very productive behind the arc. It balanced things out.

Last night? Not so much. Justin Martin couldn't get going. Myles Davis remains a headcase; he couldn't break out of his slump. At one point, Martin is shooting for the lead behind the arc in the second half with Xavier having comeback from down multiple possessions and what happens: clank, long rebound to Warren and a quick race down the court for a slam. NCSU then proceeded to score on at least the next two possessions to reestablish their cushion.

Beyond that, I witnessed a recurring problem for Xavier this season: stupid play. Lazy passes that were intercepted. Semaj driving into obvious blocks or charges.

The game was there for the taking. I wasn't overwhelmed by what I saw of the Wolfpack. But without an ability to shoot from the outside effectively, it all ebbed to rely too much on Christon and Stain.

Congrats to the Wolfpack.

While I liked Villanova, Creighton and Providence before today, I now have become a huge fan. Sorry for the dud guys. X will straighten things out for the future, but may the light shine brightly on your programs from here.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby jayelan » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:17 am

Not what I was expecting. Thought they'd come in with a chip on their shoulder to prove the committee wrong that they belonged in the field of 64 not 68. Didn't happen; they were lackluster at best. While Stainbrook labored down the court he was a man amongst boys once in the paint. Scored at will. Think his ankle was okay just out of shape, easy to do when you are big and don't practice as before. Was surprised with Lewis ability to just roam all over the court at will. Defense was not sharp at all, perhaps in spurts but overall effort was lacking. Didn't seem to me the crowd had any affect on the game. Both schools had their bands, students and fans sounding pretty equal. If the locals were rooting against Xavier they were not all that loud.

Again I will say it Xavier should have had a chip on their shoulder for being selected to the 1st round playin game and at Dayton to boot. Not sure my SLU friends are happy though as NC State looked better than we expected.
jayelan

Postby BEwannabe » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:07 pm

jayelan wrote:Not what I was expecting. Thought they'd come in with a chip on their shoulder to prove the committee wrong that they belonged in the field of 64 not 68. Didn't happen; they were lackluster at best. While Stainbrook labored down the court he was a man amongst boys once in the paint. Scored at will. Think his ankle was okay just out of shape, easy to do when you are big and don't practice as before. Was surprised with Lewis ability to just roam all over the court at will. Defense was not sharp at all, perhaps in spurts but overall effort was lacking. Didn't seem to me the crowd had any affect on the game. Both schools had their bands, students and fans sounding pretty equal. If the locals were rooting against Xavier they were not all that loud.

Again I will say it Xavier should have had a chip on their shoulder for being selected to the 1st round playin game and at Dayton to boot. Not sure my SLU friends are happy though as NC State looked better than we expected.

anyone that was expecting a hostile UD crowd simply doesn't get it. By and large the student body is responsible for shenanigans, imagine that college kids with too much time on their hands behaving in nonconforming ways. UD season ticket holders even if they went to the game aren't going to generate energy to root against X.

Re:SLU and NC State, SLU struggled big time down the stretch in the A10 when their players got wore down by the season and played a tough string of games. They had a few days off to get their legs and wounds healed and 1 thing for sure will defend better than X, not sure that will guarantee a winner but I see a 1 or 2 possession game. X really looked like they wanted the season to end and I have to admit that's not something I've seen from them.
BEwannabe

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:23 pm

We shat the bed, sorry Big Easters
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board