Extension of Gavitt games and BE/Big 12 challenge?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Extension of Gavitt games and BE/Big 12 challenge?

Postby MUPanther » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:57 am

adoraz wrote:I'd think this would also increase the odds of Big East games on ESPN as they now have less inventory. Maybe even a split package like the Big Ten is doing.

Personally I'm pretty happy with Fox coverage but a bidding war would be great for the Big East.

Don't think you have a split. Fox Sports stills need the Big East to fill 100 plus tv windows. Just casue ESPN is losing the Big Ten, don't think FOX/FS1 is gaining that much more games.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby adoraz » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:13 pm

Regarding how much Big East games will be worth: unfortunately, based on TV ratings, the B1G looks to be a lot more valuable. That isn't really a surprise given they are larger schools and probably the most popular basketball conference (either them or the ACC).

https://painttouches.com/2022/08/05/big ... performed/

That said, I think our ratings are better than the PAC 12 and possibly the Big XII too. Big East ratings are clearly up so we'll definitely be getting a pay raise. I just wouldn't expect a massive pay bump.

MUPanther wrote:
adoraz wrote:I'd think this would also increase the odds of Big East games on ESPN as they now have less inventory. Maybe even a split package like the Big Ten is doing.

Personally I'm pretty happy with Fox coverage but a bidding war would be great for the Big East.

Don't think you have a split. Fox Sports stills need the Big East to fill 100 plus tv windows. Just casue ESPN is losing the Big Ten, don't think FOX/FS1 is gaining that much more games.

Well, currently the Big East is splitting, just with CBS rather than ESPN. I wouldn't expect a split down the middle but rather two or three packages with Fox likely keeping the best package and maybe ESPN getting the second package and putting most of it on ESPN+. I do agree though about this not impacting Fox, which I've seen a lot of people on Twitter concerned about over the past few days. Fox isn't getting more B1G content, NBC/CBS are. I think this is a best case scenario for the Big East.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby Xudash » Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:07 pm

adoraz wrote:Regarding how much Big East games will be worth: unfortunately, based on TV ratings, the B1G looks to be a lot more valuable. That isn't really a surprise given they are larger schools and probably the most popular basketball conference (either them or the ACC).

That said, I think our ratings are better than the PAC 12 and possibly the Big XII too. Big East ratings are clearly up so we'll definitely be getting a pay raise. I just wouldn't expect a massive pay bump.

MUPanther wrote:

Well, currently the Big East is splitting, just with CBS rather than ESPN. I wouldn't expect a split down the middle but rather two or three packages with Fox likely keeping the best package and maybe ESPN getting the second package and putting most of it on ESPN+. I do agree though about this not impacting Fox, which I've seen a lot of people on Twitter concerned about over the past few days. Fox isn't getting more B1G content, NBC/CBS are. I think this is a best case scenario for the Big East.

Any guesses; gut reaction?

Promise I won’t hold you to it!
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby adoraz » Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:43 pm

Xudash wrote:
adoraz wrote:Regarding how much Big East games will be worth: unfortunately, based on TV ratings, the B1G looks to be a lot more valuable. That isn't really a surprise given they are larger schools and probably the most popular basketball conference (either them or the ACC).

MUPanther wrote:

Any guesses; gut reaction?

Promise I won’t hold you to it!

It's very tough to say since I don't think our current contracts are fully public. I'm seeing varying numbers but it looks like we're paid $4.X million per school annually by Fox, and I'm not sure if that includes the CBS games. I'd say overall our next contracts (split between two services) will go for around $7.5 million annually, with Fox having the better of the two packages and ESPN taking one as well.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby kayako » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:18 am

adoraz wrote:
It's very tough to say since I don't think our current contracts are fully public. I'm seeing varying numbers but it looks like we're paid $4.X million per school annually by Fox, and I'm not sure if that includes the CBS games.

Pretty sure CBS sublicensed a number of BE games from Fox, so your 4.XM should be unchanged. I think 7.5M is a reasonable expectation for the next contract. If PAC goes to ESPN, though, I wonder how motivated Fox would be to move Gonzaga to the BE. Having UCLA, USC, and Gonzaga is probably preferable to the rest of the PAC schools, well at least for basketball.
supernova
kayako

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:10 am

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Django » Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:56 am

So the B1G deal is now inked, $7 billion over 7 years “B7G” lol, so let’s get Gonzaga, extend the Gavitt Games and upgrade our contract as well. Fox just gave the B1G the richest deal, I think that could be good for us, as we’ve become a nice footprint-centric rival conference to them. If Nova, UCONN, Xavier, Creighton and Gonzaga outperform expectations this year our chances of solidifying ourselves as a basketball super conference remain strong.
Django

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board