Who will win the BEast 2022-23?

The home for Big East hoops

Now what say you, oh ye Faithful? Who wins the BEast 2022-23? Only 1 vote, no changes.

Nova
4%
lil Cr8n
47%
Prov
6%
UConn
6%
X
19%
Butler
4%
The Hall
4%
da Johnnies
2%
Marquette
4%
DePaul - Gtwn
2%

Total votes : 47

Re: Who will win the BEast 2022-23?

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:50 pm

Hey Wiz...

Is your "projected talent" returning talent or overall talent?? X's number seems way too low?

uh, excuse me... that's Torvik's projected talent... ;)
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:45 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Hey Wiz...

Is your "projected talent" returning talent or overall talent?? X's number seems way too low?

uh, excuse me... that's Torvik's projected talent... ;)

Per Torvik:
"It is based on composite recruiting ranks weighted for minutes played."
Wizard of Westroads

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:00 pm

Per Torvik:
"It is based on composite recruiting ranks weighted for minutes played."

Hmmm. So if I interpreted that Torvik statement in the correct manner...

X's incoming recruiting class weighted by projected minutes played?
my extrapolation: X's incoming 2022 recruits will not play as much as the returnees/transfers.

OR

X's cumulative recruiting ranking (?) weighted by projected minutes played?
my extrapolation: Less weight given to returnees/transfers than 2022 recruits, thus a lower composite rank?

Someone help me out here...
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby kayako » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:54 pm

I would have voted for Creighton even if Jay hadn't retired. As long as Kalkbrenner is healthy, Creighton is a top 5 caliber squad.
supernova
kayako

Postby adoraz » Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:19 pm

lil Cr8n. I think they'll be a 1 or 2 seed in the Tournament and make the Elite 8.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby kmacker69 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:58 pm

I don't think they will win, but sleep on Butler this year and you'll get beat fo Sho... Size, athletic and a coach that should get them back to playing tough!
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:27 am

kayako wrote:I would have voted for Creighton even if Jay hadn't retired. As long as Kalkbrenner is healthy, Creighton is a top 5 caliber squad.

First Chap and now this...Et tu Kayako?

Look, Creighton has a nice squad. There are some nice pieces there for sure. But people are already putting this team in the FF. This is after losing 2 key players who were on the floor 67 MPG and who produced 26 & 13 per game, and were their best outside shooters. I think people are looking at their last handful of games--the blowout win in the BET vs PC and the fine showing vs KU in the tourney--and forgetting that CU was a game from finishing tied for 5th/6th in league play, and missed having to play the league RS Champ a 2nd time.

CU finished 50th in Kenpom last year--2 spots ahead of SHU and 3 ahead of X and 5 ahead of SJU. There is a very easy argument to be made that X has the most returning talent AND they upgraded their coaching considerably. Scruggs could ball but is that a bigger loss than Hawkins and O'Connell? We all think Nembhardt is a player (and he is) and it was a shame that he got hurt. But maybe having Alexander at the point--especially defensively--really helped the team overall. Maybe the kid from SD State doesn't fit right in like Hawkins did. Interestingly So Dak St. played all of 3 teams last year who finished in the Kenpom 100. His shooting #'s against those (3) 39% overall from the floor and 29% from 3. Firing away vs Omaha and their players are slightly different than having guys like Brandon Slater and Colby Jones stick to you for 40 minutes.

Big, big expectations following the Jays this offseason...hope they don't lose that Eye of the Tiger.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Xuperman » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:13 am

Dang Gumby,
Every single point you made is exactly what I have been thinking since this Blue jay hype started. I can only add that X beat them twice last season.

Yes, Scruggs is gone, but we replaced him with Souley “Buckets for Sale” Boum. Steele is gone, but we replaced him with Sean “Freaking” Miller. Of course Odom transferring stings, but other than that we’re basically the same team, with a HEALTHY Freemantle and 2 highly ranked recruits.

There is some indication that Jones will continue to hone his backcourt skills, so you could be seeing a Jones, Boum, Hunter, Free, Nunge starting 5......that’s a ridiculous amount of experience!

Depending on how quickly Moore returns and what degree of ass kicking Whitmore dishes out, Nova will again be Championship quality. The team that scares the hell out of me is UConn.
Last edited by Xuperman on Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Wisdom is what you get 5 seconds after you needed it.
Xuperman

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:15 am

Excellent post by Gumby...excellent.

Great breakdown of the pieces of a good Jays team. Logical and to-the-point assessment of what is there, expectations, and possible limitations of a hyped Jays squad.
I too do not expect either transfer to be as capable as Ryan Hawkins - Jays were very fortunate in landing him. And while I expect the sophs to make the leap, there may be some hiccups.

This IS the Big East and nothing is a 'given', whether to Prov, X, lil Cr8n, or Nova. Nobody is rolling over and giving lil cr8n a pass. Jays'll have to EARN IT...I believe they will.
Great reality check by Gumby.

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Xuperman » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:21 am

Git,
What’s the word on Mason Miller?
Wisdom is what you get 5 seconds after you needed it.
Xuperman

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board