Who will win the BEast 2022-23?

The home for Big East hoops

Now what say you, oh ye Faithful? Who wins the BEast 2022-23? Only 1 vote, no changes.

Nova
4%
lil Cr8n
47%
Prov
6%
UConn
6%
X
19%
Butler
4%
The Hall
4%
da Johnnies
2%
Marquette
4%
DePaul - Gtwn
2%

Total votes : 47

Re: Who will win the BEast 2022-23?

Postby Django » Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:47 pm

kayako wrote:
mel ott wrote:Francisco is the best shooter; Baylor and Mason are next. I like what Francisco brings to the table with seniority, leadership, defense, and shooting. Mason will backup Arthur at the four I would expect.

Maybe they were overly optimistic statements, but I've heard that Kaluma was the best shooter in practice last season.

Is that a joke? There were no reports here or anywhere that Art was the best shooter. Everyone gushed about his athletic talent as was shown in his Afrobasket debut but never any high praise of his jumper before the season. And as expected he struggled with his shot but got a lot better as the season progressed. Even this year nobody is touting his 3… Farabello, Miller, and Schierman are being called the best shooters, and all our guards can strike it and Mac already has said look out for Kalk drilling it from deep. Kaluma is going to be surrounded by perimeter shooters and I expect him to be showtime in the paint. (And I hope he will be improved from 3 but I hope he has no pressure to jack it up like last year, when everyone struggled early and only Hawkins broke 35% for the season. Sure, it was the worst 3-ball shooting Creighton team in 30 years! But it was also the best defensive team since Benoit Benjamin was blocking Xavier McDaniel at the rim :lol:) I’m expecting Mac to put it all together and bring home the hardware in the Big East. It’s lil Creighton’s to lose.
Django

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby handdownmandown » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:44 am

Don’t listen to Django.

Kayako heard right. All reports coming out of the program last season was that Art could light it up in practice and for whatever reason struggled like hell in games, especially the first 2/3 of the season.

Frustrating all around. But on fhe bright side, there’s upside there that has yet to be revealed in games (at least purely from the shooting end of it).
handdownmandown

Postby smallmodularreactor » Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:24 pm

Django wrote:
kayako wrote:
mel ott wrote:Francisco is the best shooter; Baylor and Mason are next. I like what Francisco brings to the table with seniority, leadership, defense, and shooting. Mason will backup Arthur at the four I would expect.

Maybe they were overly optimistic statements, but I've heard that Kaluma was the best shooter in practice last season.

Is that a joke? There were no reports here or anywhere that Art was the best shooter. Everyone gushed about his athletic talent as was shown in his Afrobasket debut but never any high praise of his jumper before the season. And as expected he struggled with his shot but got a lot better as the season progressed. Even this year nobody is touting his 3… Farabello, Miller, and Schierman are being called the best shooters, and all our guards can strike it and Mac already has said look out for Kalk drilling it from deep. Kaluma is going to be surrounded by perimeter shooters and I expect him to be showtime in the paint. (And I hope he will be improved from 3 but I hope he has no pressure to jack it up like last year, when everyone struggled early and only Hawkins broke 35% for the season. Sure, it was the worst 3-ball shooting Creighton team in 30 years! But it was also the best defensive team since Benoit Benjamin was blocking Xavier McDaniel at the rim :lol:) I’m expecting Mac to put it all together and bring home the hardware in the Big East. It’s lil Creighton’s to lose.

Damn…reading comprehension is really a challenge (for you), eh? Dude made a statement about IN-SEASON PRACTICE REPORTS and you went on to spew an excess of characters discussing preseason expectations. Trying to make yourself sound smart, by putting someone down no less, but instead showing your ass. Can’t make this shit up. America needs better schools for sure.
smallmodularreactor

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:40 am

stever20 wrote:
Wizard of Westroads wrote:FWIW, from Bart Torvik:

RETURNING MINUTES
Creighton 65.5%
Xavier 63.1%
St. John's 59.6%
Seton Hall 53.6%
Marquette 53.0%
Villanova 48.7%
DePaul 45.3%
Butler 42.3%
Connecticut 36.4%
Georgetown 29.5%
Providence 26.7%

PROJECTED TALENT
Villanova 76.6
Creighton 70.3
Connecticut 63.9
Seton Hall 61.4
Providence 60.9
Xavier 57.4
St. John's 57.2
Marquette 53.7
Butler 52.7
Georgetown 39.2
DePaul 33.2

I think one point on these numbers- I'm assuming they're including Moore like he's normal. Still very much TBA obviously. For the minutes you figure that takes it down by about 16%(he played looks like 81% of minutes last year). So just that would take Nova down to about 32.7% returning minutes. Projected Talent I'd assume to be the same sort of thing.

By the looks of it they are NOT including Moore in this. Slater 30 MPG, Daniels 28 MPG, Dixon 25 MPG (along with Longino and Arch--a combined 18 MPG) is a lot more than 32% of returning minutes. Without Moore it is 48.7%, with him it is about 65% returning.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby stever20 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:49 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
stever20 wrote:
Wizard of Westroads wrote:FWIW, from Bart Torvik:

RETURNING MINUTES
Creighton 65.5%
Xavier 63.1%
St. John's 59.6%
Seton Hall 53.6%
Marquette 53.0%
Villanova 48.7%
DePaul 45.3%
Butler 42.3%
Connecticut 36.4%
Georgetown 29.5%
Providence 26.7%

PROJECTED TALENT
Villanova 76.6
Creighton 70.3
Connecticut 63.9
Seton Hall 61.4
Providence 60.9
Xavier 57.4
St. John's 57.2
Marquette 53.7
Butler 52.7
Georgetown 39.2
DePaul 33.2

I think one point on these numbers- I'm assuming they're including Moore like he's normal. Still very much TBA obviously. For the minutes you figure that takes it down by about 16%(he played looks like 81% of minutes last year). So just that would take Nova down to about 32.7% returning minutes. Projected Talent I'd assume to be the same sort of thing.

By the looks of it they are NOT including Moore in this. Slater 30 MPG, Daniels 28 MPG, Dixon 25 MPG (along with Longino and Arch--a combined 18 MPG) is a lot more than 32% of returning minutes. Without Moore it is 48.7%, with him it is about 65% returning.

so looking at it closer I think you're right.
from KP: % of minutes played
74.4 Sleater
63.1 Daniels
62.7 Dixon
21.3 Arch
14.8 Longino

adding those 5 up you get 236.3%. Divide by 500 and you have 47.3%. 1.5% for others would seem to be realistic I suppose.
stever20

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:55 am

LAST CALL

Last call, last call for alcohol.

Last call for "new blood" volunteers for git's NCAA & Big East Previews.
Join Novachap, Fanta, Nyatawa, Pepper, Freeman, and 2 others on the panel.

Youse guys are known for your opinions and knowledge...share it with others.

I've sent out the invites. If interested I need to know now.
Bluenotes Previews zoom call: Weds Sept. 21st, 1:00 PM Eastern time.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby shizzle898 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:36 pm

This is my predicted order of finish:
1. Creighton
2. Nova
3. UConn (my school)
4. Xavier
5. Providence
6. Marquette
7. Seton Hall
8. St. John's
9. Butler
10. DePaul
11. Georgetown
shizzle898

Postby stever20 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:00 pm

This might impact things a bit....
From John Fanta on twitter-
NEW: Villanova star Justin Moore tells me he’s currently targeting some time around the start of Big East play for his 2022-23 season debut. Nova early BE schedule: St. John’s Dec. 21, @ UConn Dec. 28, Marquette Dec. 31.

Moore is recovering from a torn right Achilles tendon.
stever20

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:13 am

stever20 wrote:This might impact things a bit....
NEW: Villanova star Justin Moore tells me he’s currently targeting some time around the start of Big East play for his 2022-23 season debut. Nova early BE schedule: St. John’s Dec. 21, @ UConn Dec. 28, Marquette Dec. 31.

Nothing to see here...Nova is toast...No Jay = No way they can win the BE...You must fear the Omahanians..."You-better-get-us-now" Hurley is waiting to retake the throne...Athos, Porthos, Miller...Run for the hills it's the Cooley World Order... Yada, yada, yada...

For argument's sake, let's assume we will see a 90% Justin Moore in uniform in BE play. Armstrong--Moore--Daniels--Slater--Dixon with a McD's AA off the bench, along with a slew of 4 star players--Longino, Patterson, Njoku, Hausen--in line to step up. Everyone still feeling confident in the Jays running away with it?

Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby stever20 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:37 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
stever20 wrote:This might impact things a bit....

Nothing to see here...Nova is toast...No Jay = No way they can win the BE...You must fear the Omahanians..."You-better-get-us-now" Hurley is waiting to retake the throne...Athos, Porthos, Miller...Run for the hills it's the Cooley World Order... Yada, yada, yada...

For argument's sake, let's assume we will see a 90% Justin Moore in uniform in BE play. Armstrong--Moore--Daniels--Slater--Dixon with a McD's AA off the bench, along with a slew of 4 star players--Longino, Patterson, Njoku, Hausen--in line to step up. Everyone still feeling confident in the Jays running away with it?

If Jay was around I'd be probably picking Nova. I'm like 60 Creighton/40 Nova right now.

With Moore it definitely makes things very possible that Nova wins it yet again.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board