Who will win the BEast 2022-23?

The home for Big East hoops

Now what say you, oh ye Faithful? Who wins the BEast 2022-23? Only 1 vote, no changes.

Nova
4%
lil Cr8n
47%
Prov
6%
UConn
6%
X
19%
Butler
4%
The Hall
4%
da Johnnies
2%
Marquette
4%
DePaul - Gtwn
2%

Total votes : 47

Re: Who will win the BEast 2022-23?

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:15 pm

It's unlikely that Moore will be ready come mid december or january 1st. He can rush back in order to be the Hero, or he can follow the doctors advise and come back for March Madness or 2023-24. If Moore decides to return early-too soon, he will only aggravate the old injury or be prone for a new one.

No team in the Big East is afraid of your (Nova) returnees, nor your bench. Poppin Fresh, Daniels, Slater...ha. Kyle will have to platoon the PG spot as Longino, lil' Arci, Armstrong will receive everyone's attention
from the getgo. By the time you see lil Cr8n in February, Nova will be 4 games back fighting to stay in the top tier. Good luck with that Gumby. lol

Losses:
@Mich St
@PK invite- 2 losses (Portland, Ore) W over Iowa St, L to North Carolina, L to Michigan St. (again)
8-3

BE Losses:
12/28 @UConn
1/13 @Butler
1/29 Prov (WFC)
16-6

Feb 2023:
2/4 @ CR8n
2/18 @ Prov
2/21 @ Xavier
2/25 Cr8n (WFC)
21-10 RS
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:26 pm

Agree 100% Git. No shot. Print the BE Champs shirts, embroider the hats, start sewing the banner and FedEx is out to NE. This race is over.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby kayako » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:30 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
For argument's sake, let's assume we will see a 90% Justin Moore in uniform in BE play. Armstrong--Moore--Daniels--Slater--Dixon with a McD's AA off the bench, along with a slew of 4 star players--Longino, Patterson, Njoku, Hausen--in line to step up. Everyone still feeling confident in the Jays running away with it?

Not about to change my Creighton pick, but Nova does have a bunch of breakout candidates people are sleeping on. Neptune was very complimentary of Brizzi as well.
supernova
kayako

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:26 am

kayako wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:
For argument's sake, let's assume we will see a 90% Justin Moore in uniform in BE play. Armstrong--Moore--Daniels--Slater--Dixon with a McD's AA off the bench, along with a slew of 4 star players--Longino, Patterson, Njoku, Hausen--in line to step up. Everyone still feeling confident in the Jays running away with it?

Not about to change my Creighton pick, but Nova does have a bunch of breakout candidates people are sleeping on. Neptune was very complimentary of Brizzi as well.

Nice things to say about Brizzi AND all 3 Frosh. Loved his comments about Hausen too ("if he took 100 3's in practice, he's making 90")

Excuse my scepticism for Nova Hoops End of Times prediction b/c I've seen this movie script before. Oh no, how you going to replace James Bell, Darren Hilliard, Arch/Ochefu, Hart/Jenkins, Brunson/DD/Bridges/Spellman, Paschall/Booth, Bey, JRE, now Gillespie/Samuels. What all those years had in common is that someone was already in the program ready to step up. Hart leaves, Bridges takes his place. Brunson leaves, Gillespie takes his place. Bey replaces Paschall and the beat goes on. Dixon replaces JRE. Rinse, repeat.

Jermaine and CG were all timers for sure, just like all those other guys I mentioned. But just watch... Slate will do a little more and become Samuels 2.0. Dixon and Daniels will go from 10 PPG to 12-14 PPG. Armstrong and Whitmore will step in--not having the responsibility necessarily of replacing the production of the guys who left--and just do their thing and contribute. Longino will replace Moore eventually so you'll see his production step way up while JM is out. One of the other guys that have been sitting on the bench will get their shot and surprise. Then all of a sudden we'll say: "Damn, Patterson is a player...or Njoku is a beast...or Brizzi looks like a young CG." The Nova bench has 4 star players up and down it just developing and waiting their turn. In other programs they would have gotten their shot in year 1 and we'd be talking about all the young talent Nova has. But in Jay's system we didn't see any of them b/c his philosophy was to lean on veterans and play a 7 man rotation. It's easy to fawn over the Alexanders and the Nembhardts b/c they played a bunch and admittedly performed very well. Longino saw limited action. Are we so sure that he will not be able to impact the game in year 2 as much or more than those CU guys?

It would be one thing if this trend was an anomaly. But I think it is a bigger indication of the program culture. Work hard; develop and when your number is called, step up and perform. Maybe it was all Jay's doing and I'm going to eat crow. But I've watched a LOT of college hoops and know this program very well. Until I see otherwise I fully expect that this player development trend will continue, and fully expect that Nova again will be the chased and not the chaser.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby stever20 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:05 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
kayako wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:

Nice things to say about Brizzi AND all 3 Frosh. Loved his comments about Hausen too ("if he took 100 3's in practice, he's making 90")

Excuse my scepticism for Nova Hoops End of Times prediction b/c I've seen this movie script before. Oh no, how you going to replace James Bell, Darren Hilliard, Arch/Ochefu, Hart/Jenkins, Brunson/DD/Bridges/Spellman, Paschall/Booth, Bey, JRE, now Gillespie/Samuels. What all those years had in common is that someone was already in the program ready to step up. Hart leaves, Bridges takes his place. Brunson leaves, Gillespie takes his place. Bey replaces Paschall and the beat goes on. Dixon replaces JRE. Rinse, repeat.

Jermaine and CG were all timers for sure, just like all those other guys I mentioned. But just watch... Slate will do a little more and become Samuels 2.0. Dixon and Daniels will go from 10 PPG to 12-14 PPG. Armstrong and Whitmore will step in--not having the responsibility necessarily of replacing the production of the guys who left--and just do their thing and contribute. Longino will replace Moore eventually so you'll see his production step way up while JM is out. One of the other guys that have been sitting on the bench will get their shot and surprise. Then all of a sudden we'll say: "Damn, Patterson is a player...or Njoku is a beast...or Brizzi looks like a young CG." The Nova bench has 4 star players up and down it just developing and waiting their turn. In other programs they would have gotten their shot in year 1 and we'd be talking about all the young talent Nova has. But in Jay's system we didn't see any of them b/c his philosophy was to lean on veterans and play a 7 man rotation. It's easy to fawn over the Alexanders and the Nembhardts b/c they played a bunch and admittedly performed very well. Longino saw limited action. Are we so sure that he will not be able to impact the game in year 2 as much or more than those CU guys?

It would be one thing if this trend was an anomaly. But I think it is a bigger indication of the program culture. Work hard; develop and when your number is called, step up and perform. Maybe it was all Jay's doing and I'm going to eat crow. But I've watched a LOT of college hoops and know this program very well. Until I see otherwise I fully expect that this player development trend will continue, and fully expect that Nova again will be the chased and not the chaser.

Sure looking forward(after watching my poor Nats all year long) to seeing that this winter. It is one of the bigger questions in the league(and frankly the nation). How much was Jay a force multiplier?
stever20

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:08 am

Bluenotes 2022-23 NCAA Preview is up. The BE Preview drops on Saturday @ 09:01 AM. / Bluenotes Basketball:365 https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu6P8Z ... yyFTabRrSQ

Fanta & Nyatawa no-showed (Fanta at Field of 68 and another show.)
Cole Pepper, TV Sports Anchor in Jax, FL, Tristan Freeman, Busting Brackets, and Jack (Novachap) Daley, HLOH.
The guys done good, real good. Check it out.

https://youtu.be/P4Uva6mGH48
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Jet915 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:55 pm

Jet915

Postby Dew » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:08 pm

Miller ain't exactly squeaky clean so whatever he did must be pretty bad for him to suspend someone.
Dew

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:39 am

Dew wrote:

Miller ain't exactly squeaky clean so whatever he did must be pretty bad for him to suspend someone.

Any scuttlebutt among the X fans about what happened here? DudeA/Dash/Xup?
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board