Who will win the BEast 2022-23?

The home for Big East hoops

Now what say you, oh ye Faithful? Who wins the BEast 2022-23? Only 1 vote, no changes.

Nova
4%
lil Cr8n
47%
Prov
6%
UConn
6%
X
19%
Butler
4%
The Hall
4%
da Johnnies
2%
Marquette
4%
DePaul - Gtwn
2%

Total votes : 47

Re: Who will win the BEast 2022-23?

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:21 am

Wizard of Westroads wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:Excellent post by Gumby...excellent.

Great breakdown of the pieces of a good Jays team. Logical and to-the-point assessment of what is there, expectations, and possible limitations of a hyped Jays squad.
I too do not expect either transfer to be as capable as Ryan Hawkins - Jays were very fortunate in landing him. And while I expect the sophs to make the leap, there may be some hiccups.

This IS the Big East and nothing is a 'given', whether to Prov, X, lil Cr8n, or Nova. Nobody is rolling over and giving lil cr8n a pass. Jays'll have to EARN IT...I believe they will.
Great reality check by Gumby.

Sorry, Git, but I voted for X. Freemantle will bounce back, and Miller is a ++++++ upgrade as coach.
Nova obviously could win the BE as well, but the combo of new coach/new PG/no Moore is tough to overcome.
Not down on my Jays at all, but also worth pointing out that if not for a miracle rally against San Diego State, they'd have never played Kansas close, and the national media would be ignoring them.
I have a hard time seeing anyone else winning the BE regular season, because of rebuilding, except for the Dominicans' dandy, Ed Cooley.

Yeah, I'm quoting myself. Did pretty well, except for overlooking Marquette.
Wizard of Westroads

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jasper67 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:36 pm

Xuperman wrote:For all intents and purposes, the basic structure of the BE tourney is coming into focus.

Not at all looking like SHU can move up their seeding position with that brutal remaining schedule. They have 4 more with the ranked teams and both Nova games left. Book it.....they are playing on Wednesday. VillaNova is suiting up on Wednesday as well...in far too deep of a hole to have any chance of a 1st round bye.

So really, the top 5 is set. Extremely long odds, but UConn could win out and avoid the 4-5. Regardless, the team who ends up with the dreaded task of playing them on Thursday has a tough row to hoe.

Highly unlikely it is my Musketeers. Looking like X ends up 15-5 with our 2nd RS Championship...16-4 and it's an outright one IMO.

:read:

I’m not sure that the 3-seed is a better place to be than the 4-5 seeds. The 4-5 seeds both get byes and will therefore face another team in its first tournament game. The 3-seed still faces a good team but one that has already had a chance to get acclimated to the tournament environment and get the first game jitters out of their system. This creates a situation that is ripe for an upset. If the 3-seed comes out and hits the 3-seed hard before they know what hit them, the 3-seed might never recover.
Jasper67

Postby gtmoBlue » Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:44 pm

Gonna be sweet watching the homestretch run.

Marq beats X @Fiserv
Jays beat Prov @Dunk, beat Marq @CHICO
Prov beats X @Dunk / AMP

Order:
Jays
Marq
Xavier
Prov
SH
Uconn
...the rest
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby kayako » Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:02 am

Tuesday's Marquette @ Creighton is huge. The race may be over if Marquette wins, but we may be looking at a 4-way tie if Creighton wins.

BE's tie-breaking procedure below:

TIEBREAKING PROCEDURE FOR SEEDING - MULTIPLE-TEAM TIE (3 or more teams)
1. Teams are viewed as a “mini-conference” when comparing head-to-head results. The team with the best
record vs. the other teams in the mini-conference gains the advantage. The team with the worst record vs.
the other teams in the mini-conference is seeded the lowest.
a. If only two teams have the same best winning percentage in the mini-conference, the higher seed
goes to the team winning the head-to-head series.
b. If the two teams split their two games, then proceed to Step 2 under Two-Team ties. To seed the
remaining team(s) in this mini-conference, proceed to (e) below.
c. If three or more (but not all) teams have the same best winning percentage in the original mini
conference, then those tied teams create a new mini-conference and follow this same procedure
beginning of Step 1 (Multiple Team Tie).
d. If all teams in the mini-conference have the same mini-conference record, proceed to Step 2
below.
e. After the top or bottom teams in a mini-conference are determined, the remaining teams are
ranked by their record in the original mini-conference.
i. If there are any remaining teams tied by their record in the mini-conference, then headto-
head results will determine the higher seed.
ii. If the teams split two games, then proceed back to the two-way tie breaking procedure.
iii. If there are at least three teams remaining tied by their record in the mini-conference, they
would then form a new mini-conference and follow the procedure again at the beginning of
Step 1 (Multiple-Team Tie)

Too complicated to project different scenarios at this point, but Marquette appears to be at a disadvantage in a 4-way tie situation.
supernova
kayako

Postby XUFan09 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:01 am

kayako wrote:Tuesday's Marquette @ Creighton is huge. The race may be over if Marquette wins, but we may be looking at a 4-way tie if Creighton wins.

BE's tie-breaking procedure below:

TIEBREAKING PROCEDURE FOR SEEDING - MULTIPLE-TEAM TIE (3 or more teams)
1. Teams are viewed as a “mini-conference” when comparing head-to-head results. The team with the best
record vs. the other teams in the mini-conference gains the advantage. The team with the worst record vs.
the other teams in the mini-conference is seeded the lowest.
a. If only two teams have the same best winning percentage in the mini-conference, the higher seed
goes to the team winning the head-to-head series.
b. If the two teams split their two games, then proceed to Step 2 under Two-Team ties. To seed the
remaining team(s) in this mini-conference, proceed to (e) below.
c. If three or more (but not all) teams have the same best winning percentage in the original mini
conference, then those tied teams create a new mini-conference and follow this same procedure
beginning of Step 1 (Multiple Team Tie).
d. If all teams in the mini-conference have the same mini-conference record, proceed to Step 2
below.
e. After the top or bottom teams in a mini-conference are determined, the remaining teams are
ranked by their record in the original mini-conference.
i. If there are any remaining teams tied by their record in the mini-conference, then headto-
head results will determine the higher seed.
ii. If the teams split two games, then proceed back to the two-way tie breaking procedure.
iii. If there are at least three teams remaining tied by their record in the mini-conference, they
would then form a new mini-conference and follow the procedure again at the beginning of
Step 1 (Multiple-Team Tie)

Too complicated to project different scenarios at this point, but Marquette appears to be at a disadvantage in a 4-way tie situation.

There was an article on this, but I can't remember where. Essentially, Xavier is the likely winner of a four-way tie due to the UConn sweep. Neither Creighton nor Marquette achieved this, while Providence still has a chance on Wednesday, but they'd have to win at UConn.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby stever20 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:12 am

think it's pretty tough for a 4 way tie due to the fact that Providence and Xavier still have to play each other.
stever20

Postby kayako » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:05 am

stever20 wrote:think it's pretty tough for a 4 way tie due to the fact that Providence and Xavier still have to play each other.

It will be as of Wednesday night if Xavier also takes care of Nova at home.

I just want to point out that while the tie-breaker determines the BET seeds, all teams involved would share the regular season title. 2018-2019 was the last season that the regular season was won by a team outright without some kind of controversy. Yeah, about that double round-robin format... :lol:
supernova
kayako

Postby stever20 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:24 am

kayako wrote:
stever20 wrote:think it's pretty tough for a 4 way tie due to the fact that Providence and Xavier still have to play each other.

It will be as of Wednesday night if Xavier also takes care of Nova at home.

I just want to point out that while the tie-breaker determines the BET seeds, all teams involved would share the regular season title. 2018-2019 was the last season that the regular season was won by a team outright without some kind of controversy. Yeah, about that double round-robin format... :lol:

right, but Wednesday isn't the end of the season. The loser of Providence/Xavier would need the other 3 teams to all lose 1 more game to finish with a 4 way tie (and same time need Creighton to have beaten Marquette).
stever20

Postby Xuperman » Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:15 am

The Nova beat down of the Jays, basically makes the 4-5 seed game CU vs UConn......congratulations Blue Jays!!
Wisdom is what you get 5 seconds after you needed it.
Xuperman

Postby Omaha1 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:24 am

Xuperman wrote:The Nova beat down of the Jays, basically makes the 4-5 seed game CU vs UConn......congratulations Blue Jays!!

Well, that’s the one team we have owned since they rejoined. Let’s go.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board